Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

24 Heures du Mans

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    June 16-17,this coming weekend!

I’ve done the 36 Hours of Florida this year (24 Hours of Daytona and the Sebring 12 Hour), but we don’t get the P1 cars. So I’ll be glued to the TV until I fall sleep or run out of beer.

Any of you guys going?

And I know that I’ll get to see the P1 cars at Sebring next year. They are going to have a WEC 1000 mile race the day before the regular IMSA 12 Hour.

2. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Kinda wasteful of fuel...and they don't even deliver any pizzas (wink)!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    So what race is this weekend?

5. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

7. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I really like that race. Thanks for the reminder. I will watch.

8. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    US broadcast is on Velocity; I hope you get it because they’ve apparently geo-blocked streaming. The good thing is that Velocity will run about 25 1/2 hours of coverage continuously.

As much as I enjoy the technology of the prototype classes, GT is where my heart lies. I’ll be pulling for these cars:

9. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Not going this year, but I went for the first (and still only) time in 2015 and it was magical. I'm a big fan of Porsche's motorsport efforts over the decades, know a little bit about it. We chose that year as soon as we heard about the Porsche LMP program restarting in '13 or so, and picked the right year.

Took several hundred frames from wherever they let us riff raff stand. The one linked was my favorite, in the morning after that miraculous night driving, the 'slow car' running in first.

https://flic.kr/p/uWuP34

If I'm honest, there's little reason to go this year apart from watching what should be Toyota and Zo running unopposed in P1. The other classes aren't as interesting as they've been in years past, with the GTE class starting to resemble the old GT1 class (i.e., cars essentially designed first as racers then as unobtainable street cars [Ford GT] or bearing little similarity to the production model [mid-engined 911 RSR]).

I'm glad I went when I did, but sportscar racing is in another of its low periods. Looking forward to the rules changes, hopefully they can actually lure Jaguar and Ferrari back.

dkmw likes this.

10. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Yes, and they broke the WEC app in the US as well. That used to be passable, but was horrible last year anyway, so who cares I guess. Just a shame they can't get this on the air. Watched no end of IMSA GTP as a kid.

11. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Yeah, apparently they want to give Velocity exclusive rights in US. I hardly ever watch the channel; most of their programming is not exactly my cup of tea. But I'm glad to have it for this weekend!

IMSA GTP back in the day was fun. I'd rather watch production based cars. GTP was production based at the very beginning, until they morphed the regs and then some wild $#it was fielded. Full ground effects cars by the mid 80s....

Today's WEC prototypes are marvels of engineering within some pretty tight rules. I got to see the Audi e-Tron R18 at Sebring a few years ago - an amazing piece of tech. Almost silent, but very, very quick. The lack of exhaust noise allows you to hear the tires struggling for grip as they brake and corner at 3+ Gs.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    If you like LeMans 24 hour racing, have a look at the following link. Lara Platman is a great photographer who has motorsport connections and whose exhibition at a Leica gallery in London I attended a year or so back. Her photos are taken from inside the pits - overnight, rather than just views of cars chasing around. hope you enjoy:

https://photofeature.co.uk/through-the-night-gallery/

dkmw likes this.

13. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I get Velocity.

dkmw likes this.

14. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

Thanks! Race cars, the fans, and pit action are all great photo subjects! Night time is one of the things that make endurance racing more fun than other formats.

15. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    I'm pulling for Alonso, but enjoy watching no matter who wins.

16. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    We try to watch every year but without tv service they have made it difficult.

17. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Porsche has ended their P1 program, but they did something interesting for the car’s farewell tour. This shows the potential if you break a few rules.

Edit - oops wrong vid posted, technical difficulties on my end...

18. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Here’s the correct vid, I hope.

19. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    Went over to Le Mans for several years running many years back. Was always a great party, and way, way cheaper than watching F1. When we were there McLaren were running their F1 sports cars - a family friend was a mechanic.

The memorable cars then though were a US team called Panoz. Their cars were front engines V8’s and volumewise sounded like about four full 100w Marshal stacks on full chat. Glorious sound.

The other abiding memory was leaving after the race. It seemed that every petrol head in the UK was there and there was just a constant stream of Sports and classic cars racing back up to the ferry back to Blighty. You’d see French locals out lining the route to watch and the local “flics” at regular intervals administering speeding fines.... great fun!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.