Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

20g insulated stranded wire with vintage cloth cover (600v / 105ºC) for 5e3 amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by dav70ita, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dav70ita

dav70ita TDPRI Member

May 2, 2018
    Madrid
    Hi, I’m building a 5e3 amp clone from scratch, and I have a question about the best wire to be used. Most people agree that it’s best to use 18 gauge vintage cloth wire for the heaters and 22 or 20 gauge vintage cloth wire for the rest.

To add more security to the amp I’m tempted to use 20 gauge insulated stranded wire with vintage cloth cover (600v / 105ºC) in all the amp, but I wonder if the thickness of the wire could be an issue, considering that the chassis of a 5e3 amp is pretty narrow.

I need help from somebody that has already worked with that kind of wire inside a 5e3 amp.

Thank a lot.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I hate wire that frays like that. I have used stranded wire before when I couldn't find a good solid cloth wire source. Now I buy great solid waxed cloth wire that doesnt fray from Marsh amps.
    The stranded I used was tinned so it isn't a PITA with the strands separating while working with it.
    You dont need 18 gage for the heaters. Everyone follows what Leo did... but Hammond , like in their organs, used tiny wire for heaters with no issues. like 22 or 24 gage it looks like. I never use 18 gage, which is super stiff, anymore. I use 20 gage for everything.

The tweed amps are hard to work in for sure. I would buy good solid core wire... or the tinned wire if you want stranded wire. The one thing about stranded wire is it wont break at a hard spot like solid wire. Tinned stranded wire:
    [​IMG]

robrob likes this.

4. dav70ita

dav70ita TDPRI Member

May 2, 2018
    Madrid
    Yes, this may be correct specially when the wire need to be twisted. But in any case, I suppose that the 600V solid or branded wire have the same thickness.

So, did you find any issue working with the solid 600v cloth covered wire inside a 5e3 amp?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    The vinyl+PVC wire with the cloth is embedded in the vinyl insulation is the very devil itself to work with. That stuff in the pic doesn't look much easier to work with in tight quarters like a tweed chassis, either.

My favorites are cloth pushback and Teflon coated, FWIW.

D'tar likes this.

6. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Nov 3, 2004
    People don't agree on that, they only use it because it's what Leo's boys used, it's "period correct." 50-watt Plexi builders use 22-guage PVC wire throughout (heaters included) because that's what Jim's boys used.

The AWG chart is out there for any designer to consult and already figured in safety tolerances. Heck, 24-guage would be able for a 5E3.

I agree, I hated trying to work with that stuff, the cloth cover would quickly fray and unravel from the actual PVC insulation. I have true cloth pushback for vintage repair work and but use mostly 22-guage pre-tinned topcoat for builds anymore. Why volunteer for more hassle?

7. dav70ita

dav70ita TDPRI Member

May 2, 2018
    Madrid
    Thanks for your comments. You have convinced me to use solid waxed cloth wire. My first intention was to use it, but I had some doubts when I discovered the 600v insulated cloth covered wire. The first impression was that the 600V wire is too thick and hard to work with. After Reading your post I'm more convinced now to come back to my first decision. It's my first amp building but I have used solid waxed cloth wire in many guitar builds and I was very happy with it.

schmee likes this.

8. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2018
    Olympia WA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.