2017 New road bicycle thread...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, May 24, 2017.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think the actual working diameter of 650b, once you put fat tires on it, isn't far off from 700c shod with something like a 23mm tire.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

True, but I know we're a few years or more into a lot of drop bar frames accommodating 700 x 45 or 50 and 29 x 2.3 to 3. I've assumed everyone would be after the wagon wheel advantages where possible. I didn't get it at first glance where the bike was an eBay bargain.

:)

P.S. There was a time when I hated bigger wheels and I've swallowed pride and whatever over that. I'm a fan these days.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well the frame I got new from Lynskey on one of their stupid sales. This geometry for my purpose is not a compromise, rather it drove the build.

But some parts I ebayed cam in the mail today to finish it up. Just test rode it a few minutes ago in my sub-div [in rain] with 22 gears.

To help you understand the 'Little wheels', the 27.5 [650b] wheel with the 48mm tire is equal to a 700x 28 about in outside diameter. But you get the air volume and cush, and float for softer/looser surfaces. The 'gravel' bikes are all the rage.
    My take is a more aggressive geometry, I tried the endurance geom and it was not for me.

That sort the concept better? Happy to answer questions if you still got any...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. robt57

42x650b=23[700] 47x650b=28[700] 2.1x650b=32[700]

Of course different brands marked sized vary a bit...

5. robt57

So today I got the carbon bar cons on, the front 8000 Deraileurm cabled it up, trimmed and test rode. Like!

When I get the carbon EC70-AX bars it will getting some color pop on the tape. Acid Green one side, Loud Orange other...

A friend called it a Mongrel. I am going to take the top tube Pro-CX vinyl off and put 'Mongrel' on it...

1st-Iteration-fin-Mongrel.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, you can get the axles closer to each other without negative consequences. Enjoy the ride!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.