Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2016 Deluxe Nashville Tele or Deluxe Stratocaster....for strat sounds?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesholyman, Sep 27, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    One would immediately think the strat wins hands down, but I am looking to have both Tele sounds and Strat sounds, possibly in a single guitar for convenience and have these two options:

2016/2017 Deluxe Nashvillle Telecaster - whatever price its going at, ~800

New / Old Stock ~2011 Deluxe Stratocaster (Mexico) - half price of new. ~400

I have my current Tele which, if going with the newer tele I'd part with. Its a Squier, is ok, does the job, but the body is Mahogany, pickups are stacked buckers, its Indonesian and just doesn't have the quality...

The Nashville seems like the best of both worlds and getting it will stretch me, but I like what I have read so far...especially the fretboard radius that matches a les paul (my other goto right now.)

My main goal is to get the "stratty" sounds to do some John Mayer, Clapton, David Gilmour, and some others...

Would love to hear the thoughts about this. To summarize, id end up with:

Squier Tele & Mexican Strat

Or

Deluxe Nashville Telecaster....

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Get the mim strat, new pickguard for two strat and the tele bridge. Wire the Dan Armstrong blender mod (SSS->HSH with wiring and blender pot on the fly). Block the trem like Clapton. Play by the saddles for twang and by the neck for the rest.

3. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    Strat tones out of Tele I think is really tough. Strat bodies are so thin where the Tele body is thick slab. This plays a major role, don't want to get in a tonewood debate but we all know this.

I had an Ibanez RG which was the HSH configuration and the middle single coil was useless so I thought why not try an get Strat tones out of it. After watching a Phillip McNight YouTube video on Wiggins Custom pickups I reached out to William Wiggins and proposed my idea. He was onboard and what I got was exactly that, Strat tones. He wound the single coil exactly like it was done on 62 Strats.

I'm the only non-Fender guitar customer on his website. There is a write up about it on the Fan / Customer page of Wiggins website.

I'd buy a Mexican Strat before the Squire. I have a MIM Tele and MIM Strat, great necks but on both guitars I replaced the Pickups and Electronics.

4. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    My only real concern with the Mexi strat is the electronics...that I won't be happy. That Tele is done right...but you pay for it...

5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    had a Nashville for a while, actually I still own it but it's about 5000 miles away. I liked it quite a bit for playability & versatility, though I missed the N&B middle tele position. Did it sound like a strat? Sort of. Quack positions were plausible, never had the strat neck pickup sound, which is why I play a strat. A likable enough guitar, anyway, but if you want a strat, you might could have to get you a strat.

bluesholyman likes this.

6. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    IMG_1677.JPG
    Straty? I don't think so. BUT... absolutely awesome in her own right.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would go with the NOS Strat for half the price, then sell the Squier and get a used Highway 1 or Baja Tele. Same money spent, and you get 2 good guitars.

bluesholyman likes this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I'm a strat guy, but not a tremolo guy, and I love teles too, so I was looking at tele options that would give me some strat sounds. Played both the Nashville and Baja extensively. The Nashville comes closest to strat tones, particularly the quack sounds at 2 & 4, but the neck pickup isn't a strat neck pickup, which is pretty sublime IMHO. And you don't get the neck-bridge combination. And I personally did NOT like the fretboard radius or thin C profile of the Nashville neck, but that sounds like a plus for you, so I'd definitely give one a good workout to see if you like it. The Baja neck was MUCH more to my liking (so you might hate it). and the S1 switch gave an OK approximation of a strat quack in the #2 position and otherwise was an awesome tele. But I was playing strats too, and ultimately landed on a strat because that's just what I love - I blocked the trem and I'm good to go. Now I'd like to add a tele also, but without any of the extraneous strat stuff, because I love those too. But just a classic two pickup, three way switch setup. With a Baja neck, somehow.

I'd say give the Nashville a good workout to see if you like it in both roles. I might have ended up with one if I'd liked the neck. But if you really want the best of both a strat and a tele, you ultimately gotta have a strat and a tele...

-Ray

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    The neck pickup on the Nashville isn't Strat-like. But a DiMarzio Twang King will put you in the ballpark. On mine, I wanted as beefy a Tele tone as possible in the bridge, so I opted for a Lollar Special T. I kept the middle Strat stock pickup, and put the more Strat-like Twang King in the neck. I also rewired so that the middle selector position gives bridge and neck (stock gives middle pickup only). I pitched the 6 piece bridge and went for 3 brass barrels.

In other words, if you want a Tele to sound like a Strat, you'd best learn to mod.

IMG_0947.JPG

10. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Ok, tell me about your experience with it. I played one tonight and it was bright and thin sounding (I'm used to an LP right now) so I think I wasn't feeling it. But when you say "awesome in her own right," tell me about THAT.

11. ToddinTX

ToddinTX Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I like my Deluxe Nashville tele quite a lot. I also have two Strats. The Nashville lives in the middle ground between strat and tele, but leans more to the tele side. I can get some very good tele tones out of mine, and just enough strat tone to scratch an itch occassionally. But, it's not a strat. If you want strat tones, get a strat.

Personally, I take the Nashville for what it is and use it accordingly. I don't have a need to stretch its capabilities. The tones are quite good as-is. You could buy a MIM strat and upgrade it quite a lot for the cost of the Nashville. Heck, you might even look into some Squire offerings. The Deluxe, Vintage Modified, and Classic Vibe series offer a LOT of bang for the buck and are very upgradable if you want a specific tone.

bluesholyman likes this.

12. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    They're definitely not Lesters lol! Bright yes. Thin, not at all. I run mine mostly through my VOX AC30CC2 at a very warm setting. I roll my volume regularly between 50-75% (full on when she needs to scream) and the tone stays at just over half. Remember you can do a lot just between the controls and pickup height.

asnarski likes this.

13. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta

Thanks for the info. I opted for a less expensive route this time and went with a sorta new Stratocaster from 2011, been sitting on the shelf for 6 years and no one ever bought it - got it at their cost because they just wanted to get rid of it.

Sold the tele I had because I want to get a more traditional one and I'll do that at some point in the future. The LP and Strat are sufficient for me right now. Turns out I really wanted that Strat sound...

shupe13 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.