2014 Build Challenge Winners!

Discussion in '2014 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, May 14, 2014.

1. Bob.M

Bob.M TDPRI Member

The great thing about a contest like this is that the competition is really against yourself and the clock, so everyone who finishes wins. But we lurkers and watchers are the true winners - we get to enjoy the inventiveness, the candour, the good humour, and amazing creations of all the participants. Thanks!

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Tele-Holic

Congrats to the winners!

It would be cool (IMO) if there was a "BEST IN SHOW".... Like an OVERALL winner.....

That would be cool... YMMV....

Anyway... AWESOME!!

3. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I think if we had a more standardized evaluation system that would work. What everyone is grading each build on is different from one member to the next. If one was voted "Best in show" I think we would need a set of measures to give everyone an idea of what to evaluate.

For example - I grade generally on complexity of the design/build, cohesiveness of the design to a theme, quality of execution and end quality.

For the most part that's ended up being about 50% in agreement with the end result of the top finishers in the last few challenges, but I'm sure everyone grades these builds a little differently.

4. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

That is not to say that we should do anything differently than what we have been doing. I like the informal way we have been doing things - keeps the emphasis on the challenge more than being a competition.

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Well done all. One question however Jup. The Zen master fulfilled his end of the bargain. How are you going to fulfill yours? The Popeye situation must be fixed or he will put the whammy on those pups and the only sounds your guitar will make are those that mimic southerly wind.......... You have been warned............
    Rob

6. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

That is exactly what I logged in to say! It struck me earlier that somehow Jup owes another eye to his little friend.

Or maybe he can just say that it was the 4-leaf clover that worked, and therefore he's all good. ;)

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats to the winners and congrats to everyone who participated. Lots of good stuff this year.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, the teacher in me wants something concrete, like:
    25% creativity
    25% woodworking chops
    25% etc.
    25% etc.

On the other hand, and I say this even though I am now gleefully tossing stuff into my stewmac shopping cart, I'd actually prefer it if we didn't even have the vote at the end, or stopped at the semi-final stage, and when I voted, I went by one criteria: lust. :lol: I chose the ones I coveted, knowing full well that it was totally idiosnycratic.

I just asked him, "what is the sound of one eye blinking?" That oughta keep him occupied for a while. :cool:

9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

And why not....

All sorts of contests, from beauty contests to Hot Rod shows, have the formal judgement classes and/or criteria - and then there's a People's Choice category where people can vote for one entry that they just LIKE best (regardless of why they like it best).

10. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Congrats to all the winners and all the entrants, it was a great contest and some great guitars came out of it, along with some really fresh ideas. It's all good :D

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What surprises me the most is how few people voted....less than 300 I think.

12. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

Not critizing, but it may haven taken too long to open for the final vote?

13. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

I'd been looking for the votes and compilation threads since the challenge finished and couldn't find either, so no voting for me. I use the app to view TDPRI and I missed both. Why weren't they in the build challenge sub forum? Would have made sense, surely?

Anyhow, my one vote probably wouldn't have made a difference (a dangerous statement), but having followed most of the threads throughout, celebrated some great guitars, commiserated flooded basements and last minute disqualifications, I'm disappointed not to have registered my vote.

Congrats to all of the winners, you deserve it (and deserve more exposure than 300 voters).

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I went back and did a rough count. Looks like about 290-315 votes depending on class. The average is about 301.

15. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

The new TDPRI app does not support polls. I had to view the thread though a browser to vote.

16. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Didn't even see the thread though ... It didn't show up in search and wasn't in the build challenge sub forum...

17. martin_smith

martin_smith Tele-Meister

I'd just like to add my congratulations to the winners, and say well done and thank you to all who competed and contributed, it was a blast. :D

18. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

hey victor's ... what ya gettin?? :) paisley undies on amazon or what?

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats to all the winners and to all those that entered.

Does anyone have a copy of the 2014 rules? I have saved the other years but I missed saving 2014. I have a hard time remembering them and it is interesting looking back at the different challenge requirements. It will be interesting to see what new twists 2015 will hold for the challenge. If anyone wants the 2009 through 2013 rules I have them saved in a word .doc file.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

image-727176282.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.