2014 Build Challenge Idea Sharing Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newtwanger, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

Templates

Made myself some new 1/2 plywood templates today (after the yard work). My old MDF ones where getting a bit soft on the edges

[​IMG]

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

:cool:

image-1833974421.jpg

This oughta take some of the stress off my drill press.

4. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

made a template, bought some wood, parts are on order. Anyone know how long shipping takes from eyguitar, Ive ordered from them before but I cant seem to remember?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Depends on what shipping you chose. the fastest only took about 5 days for me.

I've been getting the shop ready in preperation. 4 work benches now, plus a fold up glue up table. ;)

6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Whaaaaat? I just wish I had 2 work benches.

XxJoshxX, that wood looks great. Zebrawood and wenge?

7. patsanger

patsanger Tele-Meister

Any idea when we will be able to sign up? Just want to make sure I don't miss it!

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Hey, I wish I even had one work bench.....

I have to drive to my parents house, and use my 83 year old dads black and Decker workmate....

9. Deegatron

Deegatron Tele-Meister

sometimes ya gotta use what ya got... I will be working on a 50 year old drafting table with 1 wonkly leg... wont stop me from getting er done....

Honestly, to me... that feels more "in the spirit" of the build challange anyways....

That being said... i do have a brand spanking new router table that i recently purchased and will be using for the first time on this build.... so i really have no moral grounds to stand on...

10. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

yep, I just need to find a way to resaw the zebrawood in the next few days.

11. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Oh, I agree completely. I enjoy being quite lo-fi.

12. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I feel blessed big time this time. I am "upgrading" my balcony to a small garden shed. My work bench will be around 4 feet (120cm). Only downside is that I am moving this next weekend, so I will be busy right when the challenge start :).

But I am looking forward to this one. The plans are ready, most materials are either on the way, or already here.

The itch is getting bigger... Anybody else have it the same way?

13. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Parts just came, I chose the slowest and it got here after 8 days, not bad at all.
    1393275454902.jpg
    Too early for a mockup?
    1393275516094.jpg

14. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

You're just finding a way to and not actually doing it before the challenge starts, right?

15. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

I'm doing a 50s style butterscotch blonde with modern construction in the beginner class. Two piece maple neck with stripe, and ash body. If I cant find some light weight ash I will have to swimming pool route it cause it sure seems it was decided that there was never prodution line made tele that was chambered. I got some maple at HD that has a little figure and is pretty straight. I have a bridge , control panel, neck plate, nut, and tuners.

I'm think truoil over reranch bs blonde. Will this be problem? I want a very thin finish that will help the body resonate and age a little faster.

barbrainy- I have to drive at least 45 min away to get to a shop so I know that problem. but I do have a workbench in my apt that I can do smaller stuff on, and you probaly do too, dinning table or the floor works good.

16. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Thats against the rules?
    The only time I can see possible is on March 1st, wouldnt it be the same as buying a pre resawn top?

17. Mbechmann

I need my wood split and so on, but I am not touching it before the competition start. Why do anything before that goes against the spirit of the challenge? For myself, this challenge I will push myself much more then anything else I have ever done before. There are so many aspects and things thatI have no idea how will turn out. But I am still going for it :)

18. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

You win!! :)

My parents only live 10 min from me! I just don't have a shed/garage etc where I can do the messy/noisy stuff. And my Dad has a lifetime of tools at his house, so it's in my interest to do a lot of work there. Yes, like you, I do some stuff at my place - electronics, buffing, polishing, assembling etc.

I'm currently storing all the wood for the challenge in my kitchen, so every day I get to see it. Am itching to get going on it!

19. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

You are not allowed to start with pre re-sawn anything. Raw wood, means raw wood.

We should not talk about rules in this thread or it might get shut down top. This rule was actually covered in the rule discussion thread.

20. Mbechmann

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.