2014 Build Challenge Idea Sharing Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newtwanger, Feb 7, 2014.

1. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Hey fellow TDPRIers.
    Now that the rules are up and everyone is micro-examining the rules, I was thinking we need a thread where we can generously share our "I think I'll do this, wadda youz think?" idea.

Feel free to share or to hold your golden secrets close to your chest :lol:

I'll go first: John 5 headstock :eek: but not a Tele body (Open class)

[​IMG]

2. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

I don't know where else to post my comments, so I think I'll do it here. :)

As much as I would love to participate in this contest as I have in the past, I will have to regretfully decline. I am finding that my hands are shaking more and more as the years continue and Parkinson's takes it toll, so I use power tools less and less. I've always loved building instruments, so it's kind of bittersweet.
    However, I will enjoy watching this event unfold, and will offer as much commentary, suggestions and support to all that participate as much as I can.

Having said that, I'll make my first comment to Newtwanger: This is a contest and usually the goal is to win. As much as we like slightly odd things (like the John 5 or the hockey stick headstock) they divert from the common, making them less likely to win. However, the "ultimate" goal is to make something YOU want and would like, and the best reward is in the ability to say "I made this myself," after completing the instrument. I applaud you for your desire to be different and do something unique. I say, HAVE AT IT!

And best of luck to all participants. I'll be watching from the sidelines.

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I'm going into the open class, which will likely have most participants. I'm either going to do an original design or a literal 3 piece body, that doesn't always like being a tele...

4. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

I think mine will have to be Open class as well. Not shy about my idea. Tele shaped body and neck, possibly a Super Vee trem, solid curly ash body (with some major carving going on to make it very curvy) not sure of the color yet. Will have to test some stains on scraps first. Maybe a PRS type Whale blue? Maybe an orange to red burst? Going for a very curvy comfy tele.

5. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

hmm, an maybe slice a bit of the ash to veneer the headstock?

6. newtwanger

I think this one will be where I go full "Billy Gibbons" and chamber the body, neck and headstock.
    I have a chambered neck tele, I have a chambered body tele, both weigh under 6 lbs.
    Goal: Under 4.5 lbs chambered everything!

7. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

I joined the forum last year, toward the end of the 2013 build challenge, and I have been greatly looking forward to the 2014 challenge coming around. I definitely plan to participate, and it looks as though my build is going to belong in the open class. I'm planning to do a Tele 'shaped' body, with a Tele neck, and perhaps even a Tele pickup, but with some huge fundamental differences. Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, and a few surprises here or there throughout. I'll be making my attempt at creating something relatively unique, but without going to crazy visually. Cheers, and best of luck to all other participants! I'm really looking forward to seeing what y'all have in store!

-Austin

8. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Esquire made out of ash - or not

I have a couple ideas - both Esquires, both all beat up,
    both UK guitarists, and both have sommat to to with Seymour.

I'll flip a coin in March if the snow is melted or at least is starting to melt by then.

EDIT: After re-reading the rules, I'm not sure either one of my ideas would qualify. I might have to run my idea by the mods.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that.:(

10. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Pine. If you use pine, and dont even chamber it you can get a 3 pound body. My pine jazz tele and mahogany/walnut neck weighs 4 pounds together.

11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Just curious but isn't that a CS guitar? On the Fender website it's in the Custom Shop Artist series. The rules say that it has to be a "production" guitar and I don't know if the CS stuff qualifies, even in the Open class. I'd ask if it was me. I really like that headstock.

12. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Rules discussion has already clarified that CS models do not qualify.

13. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Maybe I'll do one of these with a Tele bridge and pickup for the open class:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. newtwanger

For a bit there was a Mexican production run of the basic one (like the CS). It used the paddle headstock. Came in a gig bag.
    I looked it up before posting.:)

Proof!
    http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-john-5-telecaster-27348/

15. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I will share my idea. Is a Tele with paint. How do you like that idea?

16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Lets see...
    If I did the
    VRI Class - It would have to be a springsteen esque BSB with heavy road worn look made of ash
    Cab Class - It would be a thinline deluxe probably walnut of mahogany
    Open Class - It would be a Tele-Bird maybe out of wormy chestnut

17. newtwanger

My take on the art of "relicing".

There are 2 schools here:

1. Making a guitar look like a 50+ year old guitar by studying pics like in The BlackGuard Book.

2. Making a guitar look like Fender CS interprets a 50+ year old guitar *could* look. Often based on fantasy with varying levels of plausibility.

Both are equally valid and very difficult and both need to please nobody but the builder. No haters!

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Although I understand why some don't like them I completely agree with you. I think it is an art and when done well it can elevate the instruments beauty.

19. loopy reed

loopy reed Friend of Leo's

Crap. I'll be in the middle of moving when the build challenge begins, otherwise I'd enter.

I still haven't figured out how to do what I wanted to do when I had to drop out of the 2012 build.

I like the different categories, if I did enter I'd probably do the open build. I have a really good idea but I'm not sure if I'd pull it off this year...

20. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

I love the idea of making a 'classic' tele, but to relic just ain't my thing. But that's what's cool about the different categories - no need to :)

I will be watching the relic group though - should be cool to see everyone's take on how to age em up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.