2012 PRS SE Shootout: Tremonti vs Zach Myers

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by nashsed, Oct 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I'm pretty unfamiliar with PRS and am currently trying to choose between these two Made in Korea 2012 PRS SE models.

It's an online purchase so I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge could shed some light on which would be a better deal.

Both are stock with no upgrades and there's no price difference either.

The Zach Myers is the older version with a 3 humbucker configuration, link below.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEZMRB--prs-se-zach-myers-royal-blue

My primary genres of interest are blues, classic rock & thrash metal. I dabble in alternative rock, grunge and modern metal.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Shame you can't play them both and
    Pick your favorite.
    Either should work for what you need.
    SE line from PRS are consistently good guitars IME.
    Can you buy both and return the loser?

3. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Wish I could but I'm afraid I don't have that option.

Very curious about a 3 humbucker setup in a PRS as I've only seen Gibson/Epiphone with that configuration.

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

PRS.jpg

MuddyDitch and LocoTex like this.
  5. bftfender

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-prs-bird-stuff.881251/

i freaken wanted to hate this thing...now i use it every night to noodle on couch with pen and paper beside me..3 new songs on it in 2 weeks..it needs no mods..just re set up my plexi in the bedroom cause i think this strait into it will be crazy good..

6. bftfender

i did catch you said 3 humbucker version just now, 2 is great i can imagine 3 would be intersting

7. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

As I'm dealing with about 10 guitars that I need to unload, I'm going to make a suggestion.

Buy both, and sell the one you like the least.

It sounds stupid, but you're buying used and you won't lose much - you'll just have a little bit of money in suspense until all is done.

I have bought about 50 guitars in my life. I will be left with about 6 FANTASTIC guitars when I'm done. I probably would have one fantastic guitar and five others if I'd have refused to buy and try guitars.

I'm not a huge joe B fan (actually, I really like the guy and his talk about owning guitars and playing them and seeing what they are is great advice)....however, there is certainly truth to guitars that you have to spend some time with one, and instead of dreaming about what it isn't, find out what it is - you may be surprised and really end up liking something you didn't know about.

I got my first SE on Saturday. A korina (don't even know the number) singlecut. I have a collings 360, which is a similar format but a much more expensive guitar. The PRS is not quite the guitar the collings is, but the used price is literally 1/5th to 1/6th, and I find nothing offensive about the korina SE at all - it is ten times what I expected it would be, and it doesn't rely on any little tricks to make it feel slick - like a really thin neck profile, etc. The collings is otherworldly (it doesn't rely on tricks, either, it's just a mind blowing expensive little guitar that actually returns value commensurate with its price), it has little intangible (and tangible in this case) things like extreme resonance and feels completely alive in your hands....but in a world where I save for retirement and don't make income off of instruments, I think I'm keeping the korina and selling the collings (it's not my only collings - I'd have extreme difficulty with letting it go, otherwise).

And now, as the disease goes, I've spent as much on guitars as $4k, but I'm thinking of using the SE line to round out guitars that I don't have (like dual P-90s) until I get the chance to make them.

8. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Yeah I've heard such great things about the new Zach Myers and it's definitely on my wishlist once i have enough dough but I've found very little info on the OG Zach Myers.

9. EliN

EliN TDPRI Member

I had a couple of Semi Zachs The Amazon Ivy is just as good for a fraction of the price

10. EliN

EliN TDPRI Member

iyv.jpg

11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If it was an outright turd, you'd know about it (and you have to do a little bit of due diligence to make sure that it's not a known turd). Otherwise, you have to sometimes be the trial guide.

When I ordered the used korina SE, I saw reviews that it was a "great guitar" but with a chubby neck profile. I think only someone who spent 2000 hours on an ibanez jem would think the neck is chubby - it's less chubby than a '59 paul.

12. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

All I can say is that I love my Zach Myers, and I have had a hard time bonding with LP style guitars. The ZM is now my #2 gigging guitar, after of course, my Tele.

13. bftfender

...its a rounded neck..not overly bad..i find it a great neck for chords.it's .why i kept it.. would say its in the middle range neck wise.. prefer this type neck for chords..looking at it right now and its def a round profile..no way chubby

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'd agree. I was expecting something like a 72 fender deluxe, which is both fat and really intrusive at the edge. It's much more pleasant, a great choice on their part.

bftfender likes this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

By the way, to the OP - are you sure that you won't mind the middle humbucker sitting where your pick will go?

bftfender likes this.
  16. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I'm ok with slightly rounder necks. I'm by no means a shredder so that's not a major concern.

The 3 humbucker config is intriguing. It appeals to the Peter Frampton fan in me, but at the same time every one says the middle pickup is useless and just gets in the way.

Whereas the Tremonti satisfies my desire for a standard singlecut.

I currently have a Tele, a SG, a Strat and a Schecter super strat.

A singlecut, a semi-hollow and a P90 style are what seem like the obvious missing pieces.

Other bargains that i'm deliberating over are a Gretsch Streamliner 2622 and a Cort CR300 (with EMG Retro pups).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.