Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2011 60th Anniversary MiM Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by supersonick95, Sep 20, 2017.

1. supersonick95

supersonick95 TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Miami
    It's a used Tele and I put it on layaway at guitar center because it can't be sold until October 1st because of a County policy on used gear. I immediately fell in love with the guitar, it feels great to play and sounds amazing as well.

Can anyone tell me about this guitar? I've read that since 2011 was the anniversary of the Tele almost all made then had had a back plate with a commemorative design. Is this true?

I noticed that the paint doesn't look like a typical poly coat, that is normally on MiM fenders. As I looked closely I could see see the texture of the grain on the paint and if I rub my hand across it you can actually feel a little bit of the grain. Can this aging of polyurethane occur or is this exclusive to Nitrocellulose?

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    whoa - I take that back ... article states "nitrocellulose", as you suspected!!

4. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If the one you are getting is MIM then it's not really the actually anniversary edition, that's USA made only. I have an '11 MIM, it has the backplate but is a straight up standard telecaster. And poly. If you can feel wood grain it's probably not the original finish. Mine is CAR and smoooooth as glass (except for the 2 chips lol).

Anyway, here's a picture of the backplate on it...most teles have them from 2011 but that doesn't mean they are the anniversary model.

IMG_20170819_143911633_TOP.jpg
    [​IMG]

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Supersonick!

Please don't pay extra for this supposed "60th Anniversary" imprimatur. FMIC had has a bad habit of denoting every guitar they make as some 50th or 60th anniversary and the badges will be affixed to EVERY instrument they offer for sale from that year. Even if the guitar is 100% identical to instruments built the year before and the year after. While there are some specific offerings exclusive to 2006 or 2011, you need to know in advance precisely what these are and be real careful not to pay a lot because, frankly, FMIC has simply had too many "special" instruments in the last 15 years. If one out of every 6 guitars and basses is some super exclusive so and so model, then how scarce and just how valuable can they ever be.

And I say that, while owning quite a few such "Anniversary" models - the goodness was in that specific instrument, not in some phony accolades from the maker. Don't be tricked.

6. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    How much did those cost? It sounds like the pickups + wiring were a significant upgrade of a normal MIM.

Oops that article didn't really say but I'm assuming it's describing a MIA 60th anniversary model.

7. supersonick95

Sep 20, 2017
    Miami
    It's 400 used which is the going rate for a MiM tele

8. supersonick95

Sep 20, 2017
    Miami
    T
    The one I'm looking at is actually candy apple red as well, and has that exact same plate. I did a serial number search through fender's site and it came up as Standard Tele.

Also, It's not that I can feel the grain, but I can see the texture of it in the CAR paint.

9. JustStartingOut

It's probably fine then, it may be just a touch translucent. Mine's not but that doesn't mean anything really.

I actually ended up turning mine into an Esquire, love it. Great guitar and fun to play and the neck is nice.

Just curious, how much are you paying at a store for it (you don't have to answer that!)

10. supersonick95

Sep 20, 2017
    Miami
    $400; on Reverb they go for about 350 plus shipping which is usually $50.

Figured I'd snatch it up. When I first picked it up I knew it was the one for me. I didn't even have to strum a single chord.

JustStartingOut likes this.

11. JustStartingOut

12. Mother Earth

Mother Earth TDPRI Member

May 13, 2016
    Dirty Jersey
    I had one, and it was a total dud. The neck was warped and Fender warranty wouldn't cover it. It was also coated in about a 1/8 inch thick layer of black finish that felt like plastic. It was my first Tele, and I traded in an old guitar to help pay for it. It was the only Tele in the store. I should've just waited and gone down the street to guitar center.

13. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    Nice guitar you can't beat the price either. I'd jump on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.