Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

2010 TDPRI $210 Challenge: We're there Dudes!

Discussion in '2010 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by CJFearn, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdaddy55021

bigdaddy55021 TDPRI Member

IMHO, pillaging an SX STL for parts would be kinda criminal. They are darn fine guitars. I don't understand how the heck they do it because I'm gonna spend more on parts for my build than I spent to get my STL50 to my door...

2. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Dragons? Did somebody say dragons? What a great idea! I love dragons! Thanks Moggl!

3. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

Howzabout a more stylised dragon (think swoop across the fretboard), to reflect simplicity and dynamics all in one go? :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Crime Scene

This is the workbench I put together a couple of years back for doing inlays and other small scale type work. It's modeled on a classical jeweler's bench. The one really handy thing I came up with is a v-block with a foot operated clamp for holding the pearl while you're sawing. This makes life a lot easier and reduces pearl breakage to nearly zero. On the far right you can also see my most important tool, coffee and lots of it!

Attached Files:

6. ChrisRM

ChrisRM TDPRI Member

Hmm, “If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon.”

7. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

For all the compliments on the inlays...

Thank you all very much! It's one of the things I like best to do and your encouragement is greatly appreciated!

8. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Smooth As A Baby's Butt

Managed to get a little further here. Using various rasps, files, sandpaper and large quantities of elbow grease I finished shaping the neck and got it sanded down pretty smooth.

Attached Files:

9. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

More Neck

There were a few small cracks in the wood which I carefully filled with superglue (I buy it by the quart ;-)

Attached Files:

10. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Short Intermission

I had to take a break Telecastering and do some inlay work for my friends over at Antique Acoustics. This is a celluloid pickguard styled after a Martin OM-45. Celluloid is a little tricky to cut with the router as it's quite inflammable (see Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds") so I have an air hose aimed at the cutter head to keep things cool, as you can see below. I also put a little white LED down there so I can see what's going on.

Attached Files:

11. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Back To Work We Go!

I got some 2 mm carbon fiber down at the model shop and set to work making switch and a neck plates. I saw an angled switch somewhere the other day and thought that looked kind of cool (and maybe even more practical ;-) so I did that too. And I came up with a nifty dragon logo which I engraved into the neck plate. Starting to look even more like a bought one!

Checking the accounts on this: approximately 85 cm2 of carbon fiber at €0.06/cm2 equals €5.10 converted to USDs at $1.35804 to 1 equals $6.93. Also €2.00 for four stainless steel neck bolts from the boating supply shop. Makes another $2.72. Still within budget!

Attached Files:

12. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

Wow!! The inlay and carbon parts are....just wow! I love homemade parts that look better than store bought.

13. alias23k

alias23k Tele-Meister

Dude that is amazing work! Envious of the skills you have and the shop.

14. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Thanks for the kind words! I just wish my son were doing this with me like yours is with you. We have built Teles together in the past, but doing it for this Challenge would have been the best. He's thirty and has to worry about his own family these days. He does stop by often to see how I'm coming along with this though.

15. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Thanks! I love the tailpiece you're making, and I wouldn't say "No!" to a Shopsmith either.

16. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

'Hic sunt dragones' - 'nuff said. Thumbs up! :)

17. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Das is richtig GEIL Herr Fearn...If I ever need complicated inlays I hunt you down...

18. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

When this challenge is over I'm gonna have to build me one of them CNC router thingies.:D

Seriously nice work - that pickguard inlay is gorgeous and your home made parts are awesome (love the dragon).

19. CJFearn

CJFearn Tele-Holic

Moggl - Thanks!

oigun - I would consider it an honor to do some inlays for you!

68thinline - The CNC router is probably the coolest tool ever invented by man! I got mine about two and a half years ago and I've never had so much fun in my life (a lot headaches too, but the fun more than makes up for it!). If you need any help let me know.

20. KennyH

KennyH Tele-Meister

This is one amazing looking build.

Great stuff, but that pic' guard, man, nooooo!

Love the carbon neck plate, outstanding detail!

21. jeremyb

jeremyb Tele-Meister

I'm speechless, this is awesome!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.