Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2005 Martin 000 16 SGT Information Request

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Crowcaster, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    North Dakota
    Hi there,

Here's another, "I don't need it, but it seems like a great price thread."

This showed up tonight not too far from me. Looks like a great little Nazareth made Martin. I was looking for info online, can't find much. So I thought I'd try here. The little bit I could find makes me believe this might be a Micarta fingerboard and bridge, which isn't a deal breaker for me, but no info on the back and sides are being solid or laminate or what the MAP price was back in 2005.

Thanks for any info.

000 16SGT.jpg

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Looks like a 00?

A 16 series would likely have solid woods, but maybe have a richlite fretboard. Wish I could be more helpful.

3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Dunno much about that one, but I love that style of acoustic. I have a 1968 Martin o-16ny, and it’s pretty lively, as are many of these smaller bodied guitars.

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I've got that exact guitar. SGT stands for slot head gloss top I believe. The neck, back and sides are solid mahogany. I seem to remember paying about $1000.00 for it new (with case) back in the 1990's.

On that day it was the best acoustic in the store...full sounding, well balanced tone and very comfortable. So it had to go home with me. I've since had frets dressed on it once and had a K&K mini pickup installed. It's a great guitar and I've never regretted buying it.

One thing about it is that it's not the kind of guitar that you beat on with a heavy pick.

It does reward finesse though.

Crowcaster likes this.

5. jd53

jd53 TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I’m the proud owner of a ooo-16sgt. The early version had an ebony fretboard and Waverley tuners. It’s a great fingerpicking guitar with a fairly pronounced V neck. Well-behaved in the studio and louder than it looks. It does reach the compression point quicker than bigger guitars but when you dig in it will give you more than adequate volume for just about anything that doesn’t include a banjo. A keeper.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I think its also bigger than it looks in the photos, meaning that the 12th fret body joint sort of distorts the length v. width visual. I have not played the 16, I've played several 000-18s and liked them all.

jd53 likes this.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Mine is a little older....

[​IMG]

All OOO16SGT's.....
    1-3/4" nut
    Solid gloss top
    Solid satin mahogany back & sides
    Forward shifted scalopped X bracing (loud guitar)

Older ones had Wavery tuners, newer ones have white plastic tuners.

[​IMG]

Older ones had striped ebony fretboards, newer ones have micarta fretboards. If your fretboard is jet black it's micarta. I have a Micarta OM16GT and it plays like lightening. Micarta is fine stuff.

It's a guitar that does fingerstyle, strumming and flatpicking equally well. It's loud and it does everything. I attend Martinfest every August in Nazareth PA and this is the guitar that I fly with and play with at the street festival. They are fine and hard to find.

8. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the replies everyone.....It went fast. I was gonna call tomorrow if it was still available, but it's not on their website anymore. Bummer :(.

It's definitely a model I'll keep an eye out for in the future.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Sorry man....you'll find another. They also make the same model in a 15. They sound a little warmer from the mahogany top. Folk/blues guys love these.

https://www.elderly.com/martin-000-15sm-mahogany-guitar-case.htm

Crowcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.