Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2005 American Telecaster question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jimmy100, May 21, 2018.

1. Jimmy100

Jimmy100 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Western Australia
    AF17E28A-7D69-44E0-80BD-D9DBE03C1B86.png 6011355B-E71D-415B-8547-186081E036FB.png Hi all,

I’m looking at this this American Telecaster 2005.
    I know nothing about them but the head looks a bit different to others I’ve seen online.
    Also there seems to be a couple of holes near the bridge.
    Is the normal for a 2005 American Tele?
    If anyone has any advice please let me know.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    This is a FAKE.
    RUN.

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    A very bad fake!

4. Jimmy100

Jimmy100 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Western Australia
    Thank you.

Could you share the points that make it obvious?

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

6. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    The truss rod hole (american teles have a walnut plug), 2 string trees on the headstock (american teles have one), and the bridge - it's not a fender bridge.

Edited to add: The alignment between the bridge plate and the pickguard are off as well. Someone's trying to pull a fast one -

7. Jimmy100

Jimmy100 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Western Australia
    Thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate it. There are a couple for sale here in Perth WA that are worrying. I might need to just limit myself to a new MIM.
    Second hand seems to be full of fakes or homemade Telecasters being sold as Fender.
    Thanks again

8. MitchMiami

MitchMiami Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    I have a 2005 American Deluxe Telecaster bought new in 2005 (but it’s z6xx. It does not have a shape anything like yours.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001.JPG

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry to hear about all those fakes, Jimmy!

Yeah, we don't normally provide the fakers with a checklist of all the things they need to "improve on" on a board like this - we might've 12 years ago but not now. We wanna give you the bare minimum so you can spot and avoid the bad ones, but we also don't want the next generation of fake fenders to be 50% harder to identify. We like to keep the fakers confused as to what they're doing wrong - so they keep getting caught.

MitchMiami likes this.

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Well.... everything.

Tuners, headstock shape,trus rod plug,bridge, control knobs,color.

Guitaryellow likes this.

11. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    ...not to mention that looks like a veneer top to me - I don't see a joint seam. A 2005 American Series Tele should be a 3-piece body. My 2005 AS Strat had a 4-piece body under the opaque paint.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah. All I could see is the fitting of the pickguard, vis a vis both the control plate and wrong type of bridge, and nothing fits remotely as it would or should. My 2005 American (series) Telecaster is black and one of the seams really jumps out at you - would've looked better maybe if it had been veneer.

13. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    For sure - especially with black - any imperfection pops out.

boris bubbanov likes this.

14. mdb74

mdb74 TDPRI Member

May 9, 2018
    Perth, Australia
    Mate, you're a legend. I'm based in Perth and I saw this on gumtree and was actually considering buying it so was doing research when I came across this thread. Thanks so much.

15. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    Anyone that knows teles knows this is not even close to being right lol. You even did enough to seek advice.

Fakes are easy to spot.

mdb74 likes this.

16. mdb74

mdb74 TDPRI Member

May 9, 2018
    Perth, Australia
    I emailed the person selling it that it's a fake and wouldn't be fair on some young guy saving for ages and his response was:
    "I see. Well this is all news to me if correct. Would appear I have been one of these kids with hard earned cash wasted. Plays like the 2 previous American Teles I've had "

17. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2017
    Virginia
    With that response - it may be worthwhile to list the reasons why the authenticity of the instrument is being questioned. At worst? You've helped to educate someone else.

18. Jimmy100

Jimmy100 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2018
    Western Australia
    He’s advertising it again with a serial number that’s from a Stratocaster if I entered it correctly.
    I messaged him and he has deleted the photo of the serial number. He knows it’s fake.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.