Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

2 inch telecaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Doodleboy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    Am I crazy I started a pine telecaster and decided I wanted a thick body with an oak and poplar top. So what ya'll think? ill post pictures tomorrow.

2. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    How would I post pics from my smartphone?

3. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    Canada
    Yep crazy. Teles jab you enough without being thicker.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    I've done it. Make sure you put a nice roundover on the back. Another nice thing with the applied top is you can do some chambering for weight reduction, with or without a sound hole.

6. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

a 2" key ring telecaster, cool....

oh you mean 2" thick?... yikes.... now that's a slab..;)

7. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    I'm looking for a thick country tone and I figured 12 year old pine is pretty light.

8. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    I've made one pretty close to that. Just use a larger radius round over bit like was suggested earlier.

9. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Maybe. depends on the piece. Some can be very light, other pines can weigh a bunch.

10. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    Possibly give the back a rounded profile?

11. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Some company came out with a fat guitar simply called the Fat Boy. It looked too fat to me... like a really fat person. I did not think it was attractive... I think Leo got it perfect.

12. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    I planned a 1/2" roundover for the back with heavy contouring, and a relief on the horn side of the neck.

13. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    I used a 1/2 inch top, maybe make a carved top?

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    That was Carvin...I think.

15. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Ah! Thank you.. Carvin is the company.

16. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    sadly I glued up the body yesterday, so I'm trying to justify my crazy idea.

17. Rich Rice

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    1/2" roundover will help. If all you did was glue it up, you could plane it down if you don't like the idea.

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Tele-Afflicted

Jan 7, 2011
    Washington, USA
    In my experience, thinner solid body guitars, sound better than thicker solid bodies (within reason). I know the Les Paul lovers are going to take issue with this, so I'll qualify. 25.5 inch scale fender style guitars with bolt on necks, sound better to me if the bodies are a little thinner the nominal 1 13/16. A local builder here used to build tele "copies" with 1 1/2 inch bodies, and there was a noticeable difference. I played many of them and AB'd against Tele's with similar woods and pickups. They just sounded "bigger", more open and more "woody". I don't know what the hell that means, but they just sounded better. Aesthetics is a good reason to do what you propose, but I don't think you will gain anything, in terms of tone. But then, I prefer the tone of SG's (with vintage style PAF's) to Les Pauls also so........

19. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    I had a bright idea to use a 3.5 inch red oak strip in the middle with some uniformly green poplar on each side, so it's different.

20. Doodleboy

Doodleboy TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Camden,Ny
    I've been an acoustic player for years (fender Gemini 2 built in 1985) i just wanted an original Tele with country vibe, im looking for twang. I can plane 1\4 inch off the top and be right at 1.75 and still have the look i want, i guess.

21. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

I did an arm rest on my last body.. not near as much as a Strat...

it feels good under the forearm.... and exposes a bit of grain...;)

the backs of Teles have never bothered me... I like the tight radius... they don't slide off your lap like strats do.... they grip...:cool:

it's only under the forearm where I notice the edge when playing for long periods...... this slight roll off feels just right...:D

on a thicker body it might work well,,,, :cool:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.