Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2 chassis Amp (thoughts sugestions ?)

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by arcticbreaze, Nov 4, 2017.

1. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    Back ground: as a lot of you may know from other posts I play harmonica, A few years back (maybe 10) I built a Harp amp (Big Red) 15" speaker black face style cab, while this was heavy it was the height that was the problem as I am a short arse @5foot 2" and hurt my back carrying it round.
    so I built a smaller amp in a 5f2 case from weber 25 ish watts weber 10a125 speaker, this has done me for years. But know I find myself in a bigger LOUDER band and I have run outa volume.

solution
    is 40ish watts wharehouse et65, also in my anther 5F2 cab to get round th 12" speaker I am going to build 2 chassis one @ the top for pre-amp and one @ the bottom for power-amp

Question does anyone else have experiance with this and are there any pit falls I should be aware of

Thanks in advance
    Coll

2. wmprivett

wmprivett Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2009
    Brick, NJ
    How about a head cab for the amp and a speaker cab for the speaker? Traditional.

Bill Moore and Wally like this.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Plus one with the head/speaker cab approach.
    Regarding your old build and carrying problems. Sometimes I think that putting handles on top of combo amps...and some head/speaker cab amps...is a bad idea. The best way to carry a load is to have two arms around it and hugging it to your chest.

Thin69, wmprivett and bparnell57 like this.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States

5. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Maybe you are right... but I still think the best way to carry an amp is by a roadie - :)

wmprivett, Bill Moore and Wally like this.

6. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    sorry but I allrdy have a head and speaker, I find when you've got about a minute between songs to get your gear on stage @ jam night a combo is the only way to go.

So NO one has tried the two chassis system?

ooo I'm Going to pioneer some thing.

speaker is in the cab, chassis are here, bits from failed experiment rdy to be recycled. time to get started

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I saw it done once. About 20yrs ago. A high school kid brought in a DIY setup to try out some different speaker cabs at the shop where I was employed. He connected the two together with standard 1/4" patch cables. It worked fine...

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Acoustic has done it, with the power amp in the cab, and Fender had two chassis in that Pawn Shop Excelsior. I like the sink pipe connecting the two.

9. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Fender has done it. Old Bassmans were like that, and the new Fender excelsior is a two chassis amp with some armored cable connecting the two.

bblumentritt likes this.

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As noted above, you will not be breaking any new ground here. Decades have past since separate preamps and power amps were used in a single combo cab. I also do not know if you will be achieving a shorter cab in doing this....if indeed this is your goal.
    Here’s one way to make the cab shorter...use an oval speaker????? Or....instead of having the preamp in the top and the power amp on the bottom! You could built the two sections in vertical arrangements on either side of the cab and use a 10 speaker??? I have never seen that done before.
    Good luck with it all...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

11. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    thanks Jonr thats the kind of info I was after, the pioneer comment WAS tongue in check, I actually hav a German guitar amp setting here to be fixed that uses this kind of system but have never herd it running and its not quite so packed in as the one i,m attempting.

I supose it wont be as cramped in there as a 5f1 tho and I was thinkin of running power up one side shielded signal down the other

also apart from folding up some new chassis this build will ALL be recycled parts.

the 5F2 cab I allrdy have, pulled a speaker from my totally impractical 2x12 (love the tone of the ET65) and all components from other failed or unfinished projects, I don't intend to spend any money here lol.

12. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    lol' Still yet to be gifted a roadie, they seem to want paid or feed or sumthing, you'd think they would do it for the love of music but....

13. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There has to be a linkage for the power supply to the preamp in addition to the path for the signal. Most applications used an octal or quatral socket/plug arrangement....a la Hammond with the connection for the tonecabs.
    I have a 1959 Premier Md. Super 88...the Link Wray amp.....has a detachable cab where the output section is in the bottom and the preamp is in the top....separated by a tray that is a storage for the power cord and footswitch. Between the power amp and the preamp, there is an octal connection for the power supply and a shielded signal cable with an RCA plug/jack connector. From the output, there is another octal connection for the separate speaker cab. These two sections are joined with latches for transport into one large cab. This separation of amplifier sections is not new....
    I had a mid-'60's Sano amp that had the power amp in the bottom with the preamp in the top...with a 15" and a smaller speaker...5"...on a passive crossover....in the cab. NOT a small cab at all.

Here's a picture of the Premier... This is the day I got it....IT is cleaner now.

Attached Files:

14. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    thats not dirt Wally, it's patina isn't it.

yes i do remember seeing old amps joined with octal plugs now you mention it, mostly old tube car radios.

the German built su-prem i have here just has all the wires in between braided. I think i can do better.

15. wmprivett

wmprivett Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2009
    Brick, NJ
    I think I may be misunderstanding your goal with this split chassis concept. Are you trying to compress the dimensions of a double speaker width amp (like a Pro Reverb), to fit a single speaker cabinet but still retain the effects?

Uncle Doug dissects a double chassis amp, here:

I think that's what you are looking to do.
    There's a part 2 that discusses the split chassis.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

16. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That Kay is interesting. All of the tubes....preamp and power amp....are mounted in the lower chassis while the upper chassis houses the controls. It may be that one is able to squeeze more into the small 5F2 cab by separating things...but.....Randall Smith showed us all how to put a 4x6L6 amp with reverb and trem in a small package almost 50 years ago. The Princeton Reverb Amps he used initially to build his ‘boogie’ amps have a cab that is not much larger than the 5F2A cab. If you have never seen a Prin Rev with big transformers and 4x6L6’s, it may be hard to conceive of such a thing....but I have seen one.
    I personally do not see any reason to go to a split chassi approach, but a path has been chosen and I wish you luck, Articbreeze.

wmprivett likes this.

17. wmprivett

wmprivett Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2009
    Brick, NJ
    That's right. YOUR amp, that YOU build, should be exactly the way YOU envision it! Run with it. Let's see the pictures.

18. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    yes the Kay is interesting especially their use of pentodes. may have a play with that some time (have a few layin' round.

ok here are some concept/progress pics.

the Cab is a Weber originally IMG_20171111_135724.jpg IMG_20171111_135811.jpg IMG_20171111_135934.jpg Red elephant ( but some stupid person(er um me) left it stored in the sun till it went light pink and white) speaker from my 2x12 and new chassis under construction.

19. arcticbreaze

Aug 2, 2014
    Oamaru NZ
    oh and the salvaged grill cloth is 1970's I think maybe even late 60's

Oh and thanks for the vid Wally, I WILL now make the two half's Plug together haven't found an octal plug so probably use XLR's

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

20. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If the postage would not put a damper on it, I would donate a couple of conn3ctors to your project.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.