Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2 and 4 positions sound terrible (thin)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by rnelson40, Sep 17, 2017.

1. rnelson40

rnelson40 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    I bought a loaded Tele body the other day and put a neck on it this week, strung it, and plugged in.

[​IMG]
    Bridge - DiMarzio Air Zone
    Middle - DiMarzio True Velvet
    Neck - DiMarzio Twang King

They all sound really great....until you flip the selector to positions 2 and 4....then they sound terrible..."thin sounding" doesn't even do it justice.......before I take a look at the electronics, has anybody had this situation before?

Thanks!

2. rnelson40

rnelson40 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    It's because they're 'out of phase'

There's a common misconception that for the strat '2' '4' positions to get that sound, they need to be wired 'out of phase' it's such a common term used in this context. It is NOT correct. The pickups should be wired parallel IN PHASE. This is how EVERY original strat guitar was wired. They were never wired 'out of phase'
    Out of phase wiring gets a thin, weak, sometimes honky or muffled tone. The confusion comes from the pickup placement on 3 pickup guitars. Due to where they are placed under the string, even when wired in phase there is some phase cancelation going on in the '2' and '4' positions, which is part of that sound. This is a much different phenomenon than pickups that are wired out of phase with one another, though.

Wire them in phase and it will fix your issue.

Ricky D. and Huddy like this.

4. rnelson40

rnelson40 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply

5. rnelson40

rnelson40 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    This Tele also has a toggle switch which I believe brings in the bridge pickup in all positions (I think, I didn't wire it). I'll need to do some reading of that link I provided and see which one would be the best choice.....

I love the Twang King pickup.....awesome.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Swap the leads on the middle pickup only; it's out of phase with respect to the other two.

Geo, Ricky D. and JD0x0 like this.

7. rnelson40

rnelson40 TDPRI Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    Well, looks like that link is broken.....sorry about that.

8. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ... I believe he is right... the middle pup is out of phase to the bridge and neck pups

9. Darrell Fuller

Darrell Fuller TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Massillon Ohio USA
    The toggle drops a coil on the bridge pickup. What you have is a loaded modern player plus body made in china. Pine body

10. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    The old Dimarzio curse. As mentioned swap the red and green on the middle pickup.

11. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I would swap the wires from the middle pup. That should take care of it. I assume the middle pup sounds fine by itself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.