Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1x8 cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek70, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jdolecek70

jdolecek70 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    florida
    I'm confused on what an 1x8 cab would sound like. A few years ago any small speaker sounded like crap then blackstar made tehir id core and their tiny speakers sounded good, so now im wondering is this the same for 1x8 cabs. I'm either getting the peavey piranha,dark terror or joyo zombie and not sure what cab to to get.....will I be happy with a 1x8? do they make v30' in 1x8 cabs? What is the best 1x8 on the market?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The sound of a cab/amp depends on what 8” speaker one chooses. A Weber Signature is probably your least expensive option...in either Alnico or ceramic magnet. The Weber Vintage series would be more expensive....and would be my choice for a low output amp if price fit the budget. I recently put an Eminence 820H in a Tweed Princeton on. I found it too dark for my purposes.....if you have a bright amp you might like it.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Having a couple 8" combos, including an HT-1, he best thing you can do is move to a 12" speaker, IMO. I built a 12" cab for the HT-1 which greatly improved it. Unless it's a desktop cab and you don't really care if it sounds dead right, I wouldn't go with an 8" speaker.

That being said the celestion 8" speakers are supposed to be pretty good.

I had a frontman that I contemplated converting to a true Leslie unit, and an 8" would be fine for that I think.

4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I've got an orange 8" that sounds pretty good but never as good as a 12"

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    And I have a 12” speaker that I can’t listen to with any guitar amp. Diameter does not dictate sonics...that Emi 820H 8” I mention is very dark...and the CTS 12” that came out of a mid-‘60’s Gibson has no bottom end at all....harsh and brittle. It is design and not size that creates what a speaker does, ime.

6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    jdolocek70,

If you're limited to only considering the 8" option, a couple of suggestions for you:

1. Do a little searching for makes of drivers (the loudspeaker alone) and check some reviews or vids about some).

2. The sensitivity and frequency response rarely measure up to what a 10" or 12" driver will offer. It's mostly just due to audio physics, but the limitations are real and it narrows your options considerably. 8" inch guitar drivers are just not the focus of much large scale production for the big speaker companies (nor amp makers either).

3. Here are *some* 8" guitar-specific drivers I know about offhand. The mass produced units:
    Jensen C8R, Jensen Mod8-20, Celestion 15-8, Eminence 820H, WGS G8C, etc. And, then add in the more specialized / boutique type drivers: Weber, etc.

Typical of 8" drivers would be a freq response of about 90Hz up to about 6000Hz-8000Hz, power handling of about 15WRMS-25WRMS, sensitivity ratings of about 93db-96db, etc.

A typical quality 12" driver would be like:
    be a freq response of about 80Hz up to about 5000Hz-5500Hz, power handling of about 50WRMS-150WRMS, sensitivity ratings of about 98db-102db, etc. .. in general.

I built my own 8" cabinet and installed a JBL / Selenium PA driver. It's got a unique response curve, but does Fender vintage tones quite nicely (and it was dirt cheap too). So, I just throw that out to show that you can do a lot if you're willing to be a tad unconventional.

Also, consider that the sum total of all output is a function of the loudspeaker and the box it is housed in. How that box is designed and built also affects the sound greatly.

Rialto1564 likes this.

7. jdolecek70

jdolecek70 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    florida
    I had another question, with like the peavey piranha head, its a hybrid so it has a 12ax7 in the preamp section, if i want more gain than what it has would a tube screamer give me that added gain that i want? I'm asking because i know the tube screamers are normally used for tube amps but this thing is a hybrid so would the same theory apply?

8. jdolecek70

jdolecek70 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    florida
    I only have $140 to spend on a cab.....i saw the matching cab for the peavey piranha, that is what i was considering

9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Can I ask about the 8" cabinet -- is that a requirement or preference for you? Is this to facilitate transport/movement more easily? For sure, you'd be avoiding a lot of weight that a 10" or 12" would impose.

10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    As long as you don't blow the preamp / input section of your amp, why the heck not? For me, I don't play high gain stuff anymore really, just cut loose once in a while and turn things up for fun when practicing -- that sort of thing. But, sure, many of those Joyo Bantamp vids show guys playing with TS9's either in front of the amp, or in the effects loop.

The Peavey and Joyo Bantamps are both of the 'hybrid' design. IIRC, they both are based on 12ax7 (+FETs) in the preamp section and have Class D power section. Check out the reviews of everything you're considering for sure -- to cover all the bases.

Just do beware, that at some point, you can make your input TOO HOT (eg; present an unexpectedly strong signal into the input). Many moons ago, I blew up an amp that way. o_O Depending on the amp's design, some amps handle an overloaded input relatively gracefully, some just plain .. die!
    But, a single Tube Screamer proceeding/testing with a gradual rise in level/volume I'd think you're pretty darn safe especially if you're not boosting your signal significantly at other points in the chain.

"tube screamers are normally used for tube amps"
    Nah, TS can be used with any amp. Doesn't have to be a tube amp.

Heck, another preamp/boost on the input can sound downright HOT! Compression, sustain and crunch coming to a speaker near you!!

11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Of course, my response was very generic but imo an equal quality 8" won't be as full sounding as said 12".

I designed and built subwoofers in a previous life and have done amazing things with 8" speakers, heck, even 5.25", but a bigger one will almost always do it easier.

That being said, the 8" cab that orange sells as a companion to the micro terror is very good.

PhredE likes this.

12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    jdolocek70,

To follow on what Billnchristy said,

I noticed that Orange, Vox and Peavey all make 1x8" cabinets and *surprise* their normal retail price is ..drumroll.. $100. The Peavey cab is different in that it has a 4-ohm speaker (so be sure whatever amp you buy can output to 4 ohms!). Otherwise, the others appear to all be 8ohm.

Here's a quick search I did on Sweetwater:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/c624--1_x_8_Guitar_Amp_Cabinets

13. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The Blackstars are stereo and use effects to enhance their stereo image. A single 8" (or 10", or 12") won't sound anything like the Blackstar.

14. theDogger218

theDogger218 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    USA
    I think that this thread has steered a little off course. Sure speaker means a lot but the cab design that the speaker is put into means just as much.

Obviously the smaller the speaker the less air that it will move. This is why the 8" speaker is a tough sell. But build a proper cab and you can make up for the lack of surface area of the speaker.

You can decide on the speaker that you want and check the spec and then build a ported cab that will make it sound awesome. Put that same speaker in an open back and its going to sound thin. I don't care what 8" speaker it is.

Just my 2 cents after 7 yrs of building cabs.

PhredE likes this.

15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    +1

16. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Bezerkeley

17. jdolecek70

jdolecek70 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    florida
    I only have $150 to spend on a cab that is why I swa looking at 1x8 cab

PhredE likes this.

18. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    An 8" speaker will never produce the same bass as a larger speaker of equivalent design in similarly designed cabs.

PhredE likes this.

19. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    Ah, ok. That's cool. Money is always a factor for me too, so don't sweat that. As I mentioned above, it's one of the reasons I just opted to go off and build my own -- the off the shelf stuff from the big companies can be 'ok', but having a custom built box is optimal IMHO.

Have you ever considered buying an unpopulated speaker cabinet and ordering/installing a loudspeaker of your own choosing? Probably save a few bucks in the process.

It's a great opportunity to learn about speaker parameters/performance and related stuff too.

Oh, just FYI, I think I spent a total of $75 for my 8" JBL-driven box --sealed back w/front ports. It's about 1 cu ft of solid pine; having the usual handle, feet, heavy-duty speaker grill, etc.

20. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    For that much, you can get a 12" cab with a free amp included.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.