1x12" to 2x10" combo conversion

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by ponce, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I have had an Eminence 12" speaker in my Peavey Classic 30 since the stock Blue Marvel went kaputt. It's nice sounding but hasn't got enough headroom and breaks up pretty early. In the meantime I've tried a WGS G12c/s, a good speaker but awfully muddy in this amp.

Since I'm prone to DIY and experimenting
    I got a crazy but interesting idea to cut a new baffle and try some 10" speakers I had sitting around for ages. The one catch is, those speakers are a part of a small Laney PA from the 90s.

Do you think they'd be good for this application, and what should I expect from 2x10" configuration in this setup in general?

Attached Files:

2. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

I'm definitely not a speaker expert but I'd be careful putting PA speakers in a guitar cab. PA speakers may not handle the raw power of a guitar amplifier output.

Another option could be to try a 12" alnico. Fane make an amazing one, but it is pricey.

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

I run a 2x10 tweed Super. The speakers are stacked in opposite corners of the cab, and I'm sure that adds to the three dimensional sound the amp produces. It almost sounds like there's a bit of reverb going on.

ponce likes this.
  4. luckett

luckett Banned

The "raw power" of a guitar amp is going to be much lower than a what a PA produces. PA speakers can typically handle many times more power than guitar speakers.

PA speakers will usually have less breakup than guitar speaker so it's worth a try. I'd try them in the Laney cabs first before cutting a new baffle.

Ricky D. and ponce like this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I actually need a lot of clean headroom, since all the dirt comes from pedals. I was also thinking of converting those Laneys into an extension cab, but I don't need that much volume and an extra cab to carry around.

Those speakers have no impedance marking but measuring the coil resistance gives 7 Ohm. Does that mean they're 8 Ohm speakers? Classic 30 requires a 16 Ohm driver, I guess I should wire those in series?

6. luckett

luckett Banned

Yep, wire them in series for 16ohms.

Deaf Eddie likes this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Ponce, I think your idea is not bad with the monitor speakers. If they don't perform as intended, you will have a nice new 2X10 cab and it will always be time to shop for better speakers.
    I wondered for a few seconds about what youmeant by stacked. So I went browsing for a 2X10Tweed Super and fond that it is as I built my cab. I don't think Fender had any other intention in doing so than what I was aiming at. Meaning,
    cram two ten inchers on a small squarish baffle.

Cab 2X10.jpg

ponce likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Generally PA speakers lean more toward the bass/pa warm sound. They are usually plenty robust though. I have a couple here and they are very warm with guitar. I doubt those will work out for you but you never know...

9. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Do you mean not enough treble and upper mids in a frequency response even with those 10"s?

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. But it's hard to make generalities... For instance, JBL D130 or D140's were used in pa applications and even with some changes in their structure they were still plenty bright. But probably 80% of those I've tried otherwise were varying degrees of "soft/warm" on the highs. For instance, I have this speaker from a Fender PA cabinet: it's one of the most warm soft speakers on the highs I've ever had.... I also have vintage CTS 10's from PA's that look a lot like the ones used in Fender Super amps, but they are warm sounding too...
    [​IMG]

11. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

:lol: well, there's just not enough physical space to squeeze those 2x10"s into the box - by 1.5 inches. I'll have to drop the idea, unless I do the stupidest thing and take off the bottom panel and retailor the whole box.
    Oh, well...

12. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Many, many, many years ago (before I knew better), I swapped the 1×12" panel & speaker in a Deluxe Reverb out for a 2×10" panel & speakers for a customer.

13. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

What happened thereafter? :)

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

The customer loved the amp...last I heard from him back in 1982 :rolleyes:

CoyotesGator, schmee and ponce like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.