Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1st Gen. Blues Cubes: Are they worth a look?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

May 31, 2015
    Connecticut
    The old ones are heavy, but they sound sweet to me. Roland is doing some kinda digital thing w the new ones, but they won’t straight up admit it. Can anyone explain?

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Most companies don't go into the details of their secret sauces, so that's not unusual.

What I've been able to glean from the marketing material and other sources says they're doing component modeling, which is where they develop digital models of the components and then model the effects they have on each other. I discussed this in a blog post I linked to in the Blues Cube Fan Club thread and further in one of the next few posts in that thread.

3. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Supposedly, the Tone Capsules also have analog circuitry in them, probably a different FET preamp section. The new ones do use DSP EQ curves

4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

May 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Now I'm going to have to buy one to see what's inside. The pictures I've been able to get hold of so far lead me to believe that it's not the case, as does the fact that you can disconnect it and the amp will continue to behave correctly until it's restarted.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The 3x10" ones must have been tanks.

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    You better believe it. Unaccountably I've only just spotted this thread or I'd have chimed in earlier, but for a while I used to own both the 1x12 and 3x10 versions of the BC-60. Even the 1x12 is very heavy for an amp lacking an output transformer, while the 3x10 is hugely bulky. I attribute the weight to the very sturdy particle-board cabinets.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that, for the clean or cleanish sounds I favour, the original 1990s BC-60 is the best-sounding amp I have ever played through, of any technology. And I do own valve amps, one of them a very expensive hand-wired boutique jobbie, which itself sounds wonderful. I eventually parted with my 3x10 for reasons of space rather than weight, and actually made a small profit, but my 1x12 will go with me to the grave.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.