Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1997 California Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by alfdj, May 27, 2017.

1. alfdj

alfdj TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2016
    North Carolina
    hey guys, wondering if you may be able to help me on this one - I came across the 97 California Series Tele, and I have read all of the history on them, etc. but I can't find anything on why the neck pickup looks like a strat pickup - anybody know what pickups they put in these things? Maybe the guy swapped the neck pickup for a strat pickup, I don't know - but he bought it like this so he may now know anything about the pickups. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow - I read that it has a vintage style "thicker" neck, which may be a really good thing.

Also, he is asking $600 for it - too high?

thanks

Attached Files:

brookdalebill likes this.

2. alfdj

alfdj TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2016
    North Carolina
    Right after I posted this I came across some more info on these guitars on the forum with a pic of the same exact guitar. Thanks, let me know if you have any other input

3. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    I'm pretty sure that the California Series telecasters came with either with a TexMex strat pickup or a humbucker stock in the neck position. The California series have an interesting history as they were partially made in the Ensenada factory in Mexico and sent to Coronado for assembly and finishing. If you like the guitar, I think $600 is a fair price.

Fiesta Red likes this.

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    The Strat neck pickup is correct for this model.I remember them being available with that and also a neck humbucker option.

5. alfdj

alfdj TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2016
    North Carolina
    thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I ended up getting it for $525 with the original gig bag, which to my surprise had the original case candy in it - a couple little pamphlets on the California Series along with some other stuff. I feel good about the deal - it is a really cool guitar. Excellent condition too, for being 20 years old.

songtalk, teletimetx and Piggy Stu like this.

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    You did well. I've got one of the California Series Fat Telecasters, and it's a nice guitar. Enjoy!

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The thing I remember most about these was that some of them had a beautiful orange-colored finish that really popped...I call in a Competition Orange in my mind, I don't know if that's an accurate name for the finish...Of course, I'm in love with most things Orange, Fiesta Red, candy tangerine, etc.

I remember them sounding pretty good and having a good "feel" as well. I was confused about the presence of the Strat neck pickup at the time, but nowadays I could see the attraction.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    All the ones I have seen and played had the humbucker.
    $600 is a fair price, IMO.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I found/bought a deep red/orange one with the humbucker - and case - for $175 in 2015.

Saw it on CL and then sent out an email to my band that it was a good deal - heard nothing - picked it up on the way out of town for a weekend road trip.

Needed setup and switch work but otherwise ? Great.

My bandmate felt burned because "he was going to go get it" so I kept it for a week and then sold it to him - for $200.

He got it set up and it's pretty great (they have 5 way switches btw) and once or twice a year he brings it to practice.

Otherwise ? It sits.

I have right of first refusal but, he'll never sell it. He's a Strat guy too ! :rolleyes:

Oy...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.