Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1992 MIM top loader bridge... Replaceable with ashtray?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by __HM__, Feb 2, 2013.

1. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    I also have a 92 MIM top loader. LOVE it. I find, for me, it's easier to bend strings than any of my string thru teles.

2. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Agreed, the vintage frets on those necks are a pleasure to play with the 9.5 radius. They are just nice Teles the action is just as good if not better than my favorite USA Fenders.

I haven't had any issue with sustain and really get good sustain, no high E issues which I thought might be inherent with these but not true either.

You know many of the plates back then were Gotoh imported. The only issues I came across was with the six saddles two of the set screws were too loose. Perhaps a change but at the moment I cant see taking a chance of changing the tone and nothing is broke so I just fixed the two screws. :)

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Whoa whoa whoa - what ? That's what I've been looking for ? An older Am Std bridge fits ? Those are one of my favorite bridge designs.

I do like the top load thing on my - you guessed it - '92 MIM but there is a reason they call those "rattle hammer" bridges.

And if I did retrofit an Am Std bridge on mine I might drill holes and keep it top load but I don't know...hmmm

4. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    My '92's vintage (were they ?) frets were almost gone so I had med jumbo's installed, the fretboards edges rolled, sealed and now I couldn't be happier.

5. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

I have a MIM '94' Standard. I did change to Wilkinson bridge, also the PUPs. I don't believe the tray was an option any where I seen. Never selling. Nerrida.jpg

6. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^ Nice!

My 92 was hanging used in the store with the reversed control plate like that, it also has a healthy neck , and a five piece body (!) of scrap basswood :lol:

(It's definitely basswood ...)

It also had one of the worst pick ups ever made - some kind of Seymour Duncan dual rail in the bridge that just sucked so bad.

That was yanked out soon after for a Fralin that is a little too clean but hey - we all know the beauty of a telecaster : mess around till you get it right.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I actually put the American Standard bridge back on my 1996 Fender MIM Std Tele since I installed a Fender Samarian Cobalt "noiseless" pickup in the bridge position and discovered that the magnetic properties of the Standard MIM bridge clashes with the SC PU and somehow induces a horrible microphonic squeal when the two are used together.

But - more FYI stuff - The ("older" mid to late 90's at least) Am Std bridge plates are of the "non-magnetic" type, so that completely eliminated the problem in this case...

IMG_3275.JPG

Also, although I had my rear ferrules professionally installed, I did try to do another guitar myself and that one ended up looking pretty lame, so it does take some skill to do this.

I think the trick is to NOT sink them flush with the body, but rather, have the ferrule's "shoulders" rest on top (something you'll hardly notice I guarantee):

IMG_3274.JPG

As far as drilling the top-loader holes goes... it might be a little tricky drilling on that small lip - but still looks like it's doable - just make sure it's clamped down nice and tight, plus...

When I added the thru-body holes to the original top-loader bridge the drill bit "walked" a little and started one of the holes in the wrong position - so make sure to center punch your hole locations really well:

IMG_3277.JPG

Good Luck!

'

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's amazing how lighter, less dense woods like basswood and paulownia used to have/many still have, bad perceptions by many. But damn--that's resonance!

And I hate SD rails pups too (Hot Rails), and I'm putting it up for trade.

I feel guilty taking money for it.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    My 1996 MIM Std Tele is supposedly made of poplar with a maple or alder veneer...

It sounds fine but I have to say that I love my ash 2003 Fender AVRI 52 Tele much better, but I can't say for sure if it's just because of the body wood...
    '

10. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

This bridge is why I changed to the Wilkinson! If you played with any energy the strings would drift apart and throw off the sound. Every so often I'd have to squeeze the outside of both e strings at the bridge to set it right.
    [​IMG]

11. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA

I had a 1997 MIM that I did this with so yes from me

Gary

12. Dave

Dave Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Florida
    Talk about odd. I have a 1987-89 MIJ tele that has this bridge. A top loader with 2 sets of three offset saddles as opposed to the regularly spaced saddles on the 92. The holes drilled in the rear of the bridge are three to a side. This bridge was also used on another tele (whose name escapes me) at the time. Also unusual is the fact that Graph Tech makes replacement saddles for this!

Anyone else seen this bridge on any other teles?

Dave.

Guitar_MIJ_sm.jpg

cmclayton101 likes this.

13. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Sure, in hardtail form.

I have one on my synth Tele.

However, yours looks "better" in that the springs press against a solid collar coming off the saddle, as opposed to the saddle body itself.

14. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

(It's definitely basswood ...)

It also had one of the worst pick ups ever made - some kind of Seymour Duncan dual rail in the bridge that just sucked so bad.

That was yanked out soon after for a Fralin that is a little too clean but hey - we all know the beauty of a telecaster : mess around till you get it right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hated the stock pickups. I put a Dimarzio Chopper-T in the bridge and Area-T in the neck.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.