Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1992 MIM top loader bridge... Replaceable with ashtray?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by __HM__, Feb 2, 2013.

1. __HM__

__HM__ TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Just scored an old 1992 MiM Tele, with the top loader bridge. Just wondering if these are replacable with a wilkinson or similar ashtray style top-loading bridge? It seems longer than an an ashtray, but the screws look like they could be in the right spot.. Not sure.

Anyone know? ;)

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The short answer is that the vintage style bridge will not typically fit the same as the bridge that is most likely on your Tele (4 screws vs 3 screws in different locations). I have seen some aftermarket bridges that will work, but I can't remember the brand name (although they did seem to be a bit pricey).

I have a 1996 mim Tele that also came with the top loader bridge. I know for sure that a 1996 American Standard bridge fits (because I did it on mine at the time), but I now have the original bridge back on it - only this time it is modified to be a "string-thru-body" design. I had the body drilled and ferrules installed professionally for the Am Std, but drilled the holes on the top loader myself years later.

Good luck!

3. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    You have a very special guitar there in my opinion... Top Loaders for many Tele players, is a real treat.

String thru the body Teles, Can be found anywhere at anytime... Not so, with the top load. If I were you, I would set that one aside as a real keeper for its uniqueness.

I still have my 1992 top load Tele.. I refurbished it last year, but it still has the original neck and body.

ForumRunner_20130203_015641.jpg

ForumRunner_20130203_015659.jpg

ForumRunner_20130203_015724.jpg

92 Top Load in action

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    Crobbins likes this.

4. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2012
    SC/NJ (college)
    We should start a '92 toploaders club, haha!

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Was that the only year for that? I remember when a buddy of mine had one of those back in the 1990s. I thought all MIMs were that way.

6. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2012
    SC/NJ (college)
    Nah, it was that way until '98. I just think that it's fascinating how 3/4 of the toploaders mentioned in this thread are '92s

7. __HM__

__HM__ TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, got my guitar. Freaking beautiful. Lake placid blue, one ding, other than that its mint. Very flamey, dark maple neck. Dropped a Duncan Broadcaster pickup in the bridge, she screams!

I'll post pics once I get a black pickguard on it :)

8. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    My '92 toploader has 6 barrel type saddles. Are yours original?

9. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Super Sweet :cool: I did change the stock 6 hammer type saddles, for 6 steel modern box saddles..as seen in the pictures that I posted earlier.

10. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    I almost got an old like if I remember correct 80's American Telecaster that was a top loader. I passed because I like the string through body I don't like seeing that part of the stings lol :)

11. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    There should be a top-loaders club for sure. I love 'em.

12. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2011
    Eastern PA
    There IS a top loaders club.

13. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    for me top-loaders are like spaghetti when you go out to eat... i love spaghetti, but can't bring myself to pay $10-15 a plate for something that probably costs $1.50.

i have bought three and converted the first two to bigsbys (in fact that was the only reason i got them - that and the price), but this third one, wow - it's a 94 black label mim. i know, el cheapo, right? but she feels gooood! i swapped out the insides for the real stuff and dropped in some OV pups and finally swapped out the bridge for a wilkinson. i was very afraid to do that last step because it was feeling and sounding so good up till that point. thankfully it came thru that last mod with it's soul intact. what a nice guitar!

14. MrBoogie

MrBoogie TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Canada
    What's he using for a pick in this last vid?

15. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Does the top loader have less sustain than string through body styles? I always assumed it did.

16. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    oh no - it has plenty of sustain!

17. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    No, no, please, don't go there. Sustain thing...

18. Flat6Driver

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    Uh oh. Sorry. :oops: :lol:

19. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    I get better sustain with the top loader than my string through. And a looser feel playing which I really like. Closer to my Strat feel which is my main guitar.

The top loader drew me back to playing the Telecaster. Just right for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.