1989 telecaster plus V1 *HELP

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by walter bernards, Jun 3, 2019.

1. walter bernards

walter bernards TDPRI Member

Hey dudes and dudettes!

I just picked up a beautiful '89 version 1 telecaster plus in natural finish. All original components and in great condition for $1,250. I'm stoked.

Anyway there are a few mods I'd like to do and I'd love some help -

- These first versions came with American standard tuning pegs (not locking) and I was wondering if the new Fender "Classic gear tuning machines" will fit into my tuning peg holes. I love vintage tuning machines so much more than the modern ones.

I'm also wondering if there is a silver lace sensor pickup that will go well with the dually bridge. I like the lace sensor blue but aesthetically I like the idea of a more classic lipstick style tele pup in bridge. Maybe even a chrome cover for the blue lace sensor would be cool!

Gonna take it a part this week and clean it.

Cheers

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fender has confirmed the ClassicGear tuners are drop-in replacements for the current Fender tuners; unless there is some minute difference between those 1980s/early 1990s Fender/Schaller tuners that I am not aware of you shouldn't have any issues with them being drop-in replacements.

Now as for the neck pickup - if I'm not mistaken the Tele Plus v1 has a Strat-sized neck pickup; Lace only makes chrome covered ones in the Tele size. And I believe you can only get Tele pickups in a set (neck and bridge). Fender had them do a Strat-sized, chrome covered pickup for the middle position of the V2 models, but I don't recall those ever being available as an aftermarket product.

walter bernards likes this.
  3. AfroBill

AfroBill TDPRI Member

If you can’t find a lace chrome pickup, consider a noiseless pickup like a Dimarzio Area T Neck pickup. It might be a good combo with the dually humbucker.

4. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I think what you are looking for are called Lace Sensor Chrome Domes. I only see them as a set on most vendors, but it looks like you can buy them individually from Lace directly.

5. John C

Damn - I was looking for these on Lace's site when I responded earlier and didn't scroll down far enough! When I didn't see them I thought maybe Lace had dropped them.

6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

The tuners are not going to be an issue at all. For just $10, you can buy the tuner adaptors from Kluson, you'll be able to install the vintage tuners right into the bigger holes used with modern tuners. Even if you don't need them for this project, why run the risk? You can always use them with other guitars that have those ugly modern tuners.

7. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This thread is useless without pictures.

8. John C

I wouldn't do extra drilling on a Tele Plus v1 - they aren't worth what they once were at the height of Greenwood-mania for them, but they will be worth a lot more if you don't do irreversible mods to it.

The ClassicGear tuners are drop-in replacements, look like Klusons, but have the modern 18:1 ratio.

walter bernards and AfroBill like this.
  9. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

As is every thread :)

10. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Nobody was talking about extra drilling, there are cheaper "vintage style" tuners that work just as good and look the part. I don't know if the guy here has 10mm holes in his guitar, they would require adaptors for most "economy" vintage-style tuners.

11. walter bernards

Just discovered the lace sensor chromes! Although I've been loving this blue lace sensor in the neck. sounds fantastic. Full and rich in contrast to the dually reds that definitely bite! It's just aesthetics I'm after and it's silly, I know so I will just leave... Maybe one day I'll get a custom chrome cover for the blue lace. cheers!

12. walter bernards

sorry.. rookie move

Attached Files:

rojo412, AAT65 and Crobbins like this.
  13. walter bernards

definitely don't want to drill.. I hope these classicgear tuners drop right in!

cheers

14. walter bernards

my bad.. photos down below!! :)

15. walter bernards

hoping these classicgear tuners dorp right in! can't stand modern tuners hahaha

16. walter bernards

I wonder how chrome domes compare to the blues, because I'm lovin' how these blue lace's sound... just like the idea of chrome appearance cause I'm weird

Bruxist likes this.
  17. John C

Lace's website is hard to figure out - I can't tell if the Chrome Domes come in all the typical colors/"flavors" or if they are their own thing. It might be worth a call.

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

It is a cool look.

This is not mine but I always thought it looked pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

19. walter bernards

damn that is beautiful. It'd be cool to keep the blue lace but cover it in chrome... it'll confuse people haha

20. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

That guy had a pewter strat with those Chrome Domes and I loved the look, having a pewter strat myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.