1989 Mesa Boogie Studio .22

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GaryOsborne, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I love the clean channel. I run this small pedal board in front of it and it works beautifully. The Barber pedal is amazing! ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397598265.645978.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397598289.832836.jpg

If like to try a different speaker in there. Like a c-rex or a tone tubby to see if it the cleans can get even sweeter.

2. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

http://www.dougstubes.com/guitar-amp-tube-kits/preamp-tone-kits/preamp-tonekit-12ax7-5.html

I ordered JJs for the power section and the "tone kit" in the link above for the preamp. Idk if I got exactly whats listed in the link. they all came in Ruby Tubes boxes except 1 sovtek box and 1 tube sol box. I probably just got what they had on hand.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1397598903.362776.jpg

They seem ok so far. Everything sounds really good. I thought about trying some different stuff, I will next time, maybe some NOS stuff. There's def a little bit of a rattle now on louder bass notes but I can deal with it for now.
    I'm gonna take the amp to a tech either before or right when I get back to Nashville to check the caps and maybe install another speaker and give it an overall check.

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Reading this thread made me think about this. Some years back a mate had a .22 for sale, and I really wanted to like the amp. He gave me plenty of time with the amp, but I could not dial in anything that I cared to pay for.

Looking back, my inability to do what's needed to dial in a Boogie may have been the real issue!

Now I'm kicking myself...:oops:

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

All I can say is &%#$ you Gary Osbourne!:lol: I was fine living my life without a Mesa Boogie in the stable until I watched the videos you posted on the stompbox forum. Now I want one. No I take that back I have to have one. I've taken my Tele to the nearest Boogie dealer, searched C-list and the bay. The only slowing me down is my wife's knee surgery. I'm pretty sure I can do that myself though, my hands don't shake THAT bad.

But yeah, your amp's sounding plenty rightcheous :cool:

5. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Lol. Thanks! I was hoping the sound would come through ok without a mic. Hopefully I can get one and do a good demo of the amp because I haven't seen one on YouTube.

I never was considering mesa at first, I play country stuff mostly so I figured I had to go with a Fender amp. I tried sooooo many and it's been well documented here, lol, but as soon as I saw the boogie it was over with. I played it for about 20 minutes and went straight to the bank to get the money. It was wayyyy less than I had just spent on a 65' PRRI so I returned it and saved like 300$
    I can't imagine ever selling it, i happen to get it from someone that took insanely good care of it even though he has way more expensive boutique type amps that he gigs with. I retubed it, I might try a different speaker at some point and will keep rolling different tubes in the preamp until something sticks. But I haven't got a bad sound out of it yet ;)

6. Pisgah

Pisgah Tele-Meister

I just picked mine up for 250. A little tatty, but plays ok.

7. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

You stole it. That's a great price.

8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Makes sense. I've had a boogie for years and got used to it. It always seems surprising when I try another amp and the basic sound is with dials at 12 o'clock. It would be simpler but it's not what boogies are set up for generally.

9. tatittle

tatittle Tele-Meister

Since this thread already includes very helpful info that helped me track down the likely issue in my recent ebay purchase I'll add my experience here; EDIT: sorry it was actually a thread on another forum I had up in another window :)

Bought .22+ w/ no EQ had to be shipped across the country. Arrived and within the first test I found a redplating output tube (which was dead when I tried it again after the following steps). I switched those out for a pair (Sylvanias) I still had stashed from a .22 I owned years ago. They also appear to have plates with orange hue. I was hoping this was just reflections since they appear ok when I shine a light directly on them. Played it a few times with pretty good results, starting auditioning preamp changes, with intentions to look into output tubes further. Ordered fan to deal with heat these amps are known for running as designed.

I followed instructions in posts here on how to check bias voltage by measuring pin 2 to ground/chassis; stated spec is 12V. Pulled chassis, fired it up, noted strong smell and heat again (lol). Measured 1.3V. Huh? Checked setting on meter. 1.29V. This where .5v discrepancy is significant per posts here! Plugged old tubes in, redplating one now dead. Hesitantly plugged in pair of used (likely unmatched) vintage tubes. Measure .5V at pin2! Amperex tube pops, likely blown. amp off. Problem seems to be getting worse somehow.

So I may look into the cap feeding DC voltage I read about here as well. Could be the cause I presume. But I don't have enuf experience to be repairing what is an ebay amp in limbo at this point. I am debating just sending it back. I spoke with the guy on the phone he was very nice, if inexperienced with tube amps. He has already refunded me $35. for the blown JJ tube from a pretty good base price. Thinking I may take it to a local Mesa auth. tech for estimate, as I like these amps when they are running good (even this one sounded nice if not sublime). I do miss the EQ, had put a Boss EQ in the FX loop to compensate.

Test those ebay amps well. It could be a few days before problems develop. I have been fairly lucky up to this point with several online buys (I'm too lazy to look in the field but its lower risk to be able to hear/inspect before buying. This guy didn't respond to my initial inquiries likely due to not knowing the answers, just accepted my offer. He has perfect feedback with good comments on regular sales of pro music equipt.; which is why I put the offer in. Any comments or advice much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  10. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

Any suggestions for Mesa. 22 speaker upgrade?...

11. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the stock speaker in my .22, but it's a real early .22 and it's a different speaker then the Eminence speaker that later ones came with. When I had a .22+ I used an Eminence Private Jack in it and it sounded really good.

12. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

I love the Eminence GB-12 I put in mine.

Wally likes this.
  13. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

Differences between the stock EMI and the gb12, in your opinion?

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to have an Altec Lansing 417-8H in mine (.22+ with GEQ). If I were keeping it, I think I'd try an Eminence GA-SC 64. The original Emi Black Shadow never really did it for me. Kind of dull sounding. That's what's in it right now.

Also, get the best tube you can find for V2. It really makes a big difference. I had some kind of vintage Hi-Fi tube in mine until I wore it out. I don't remember what I replaced it with, but I think I tried a bunch and used the best of what I had.

15. jerk64

jerk64 TDPRI Member

I bought an EMI Legend GB 128, great speaker!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  16. notyalcer

notyalcer Tele-Meister

Hey sorry I didn’t respond earlier. The GB12 is a great speaker and has sounded very good with any amp I’ve tried it with. My recollection is it was fuller, woodier and a little louder than the stock Emi 50 watt Black Shadow. GB12 has larger magnet, a different cone and a deeper frame if I recall.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.