Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

1985 MIJ Custom 62 Telecaster vs AVRI 62

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Teletoaster, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Compensated saddles - def not standard. Very common mod though. The Donahue had brass. Stock 60s - theaded steel saddles.

2. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    This is a clone I built years ago. I still have it but it doesn't get a lot of play these days. Allparts body and neck, Lindy Fralin Pickups, Fender Bridge, Gotoh Tuners. I built this before the CVC Teles were out.

Full Front.jpg Body Skewed.jpg

Southpole and hrstrat57 like this.

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I've played an AV62 for quite a few years & love everything about it. They are very nice guitars.

I've looked at & played several MIJ '62 Customs and agree that they are nice. I thought about getting one as a 'back-up' back when they were about $500-$600 used, but never did. Now I see prices that to me are pretty crazy, some nipping at AV62 prices. For that kinda money I'd want at least a Japan market model with the alder body etc, or I'd just buck up and get an AV62.

If you're just wanting the 62 Custom vibe, maybe a Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster would float your boat. I've got one and it's pretty nice after a bridge pickup swap. Not an AV62 and it has a thinner neck profile, but about 1/4 the price used, alder body, nicely appointed. Mine is pretty close in weight to my 7.0 # AV62.

In person the AV looks better than in these old poor photos. AV62 on the left:

IMG_7051.JPG

AV62 neck: IMG_7052.JPG

CVC neck: IMG_7053.JPG

hrstrat57 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Nice!
    I've played one like that and liked it a lot.

I owned 80's MIJ 55 Sunburst.... great guitar. Put a SD 1/4 in Bridge and a Gibson humbucker in neck. Orig pups were junk but electronics were fine. I should still have it but it's gone.....

Now I have a 52 AVRI Corona Tele. 1/4 in Bridge 52 vintage in neck (orig)

Neck on this guitar is the best of any guitar I've owned. It all feels "right"

Whatever you buy should be an easy flip for zero loss resale if you don't overpay....

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I can't comment on the mid-80s MIJ, but FWIW I have a mid-90s MIJ 62 Custom in CAR with a Bigsby, and a 2011-ish (can't remember) 62 AVRI in 'burst. The MIJ is a beautiful guitar (the CAR finish is spectacular in person) and the best bang for the buck, but head-to-head the AVRI is easily my choice. The pick-ups are among my favorites, the neck is a little thicker and not as heavily lacquered, and the body is lighter and more resonant (though I'm sure that has something to do with the Bigsby).

Both are great guitars. You can't lose with either of them - good luck!

7. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Hm. Maybe I should skip that 80s Tele and look for an AVRI o_O

Is there a reason (other that the 62 no longer being made) why 64 AV Teles are being sold for 1200€ used and 62 AVRIs for 1400€ and more?
    Are the 62s better?

8. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I've never played a 64, but my guess is that the binding on the 62s and lack of availability are significant factors.

For all I know, there's a world of difference in the 80's and 90's MIJs, so take my post with a grain of salt. The only way to know for sure is to play them.

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I think it's just because the AV62 was discontinued & never common anyway. I haven't played the 64 AV but a lotta guys really like them.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    You used to be able to buy 62 Custom pickups but last time I checked the Fender website I couldn't see any for sale.

11. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    I own one so yes I'm sure.

Teletoaster likes this.

12. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Have you ever compared it to an AVRI 62 or AV 64 Tele?

13. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    I've played an AVRI 62 a few times. They're very nice. I've not played an AV64, but I assume they're similarly nice.

The previous question was about the hardware features of the Fender Japan TL62, which are easy to substantiate.

As for which you prefer, well that's up to you. I think the MIJ Fenders are a better deal than most Fender USA guitars, and I say that strongly (while acknowledging that it's subjective).

I'm not saying they're better straight-up. But I personally think they're as good in terms of the core machine--swap the pickups and you're good to go. Sure you don't have to swap pickups on the AVRI, but it's significantly more expensive at the outset.

There's no doubt you pay more for the fact that a guitar is made in America. Whether or not that's worth the premium is up to you of course.

14. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    In my experience, there isn't. I own 80s and 90s MIJ Fenders, and there isn't some significant quality drop going from 80s to 90s. I find both periods excellent overall.

Though like any guitar, regardless of point of origin or date of birth, some are better than others. There are duds and great ones.

15. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Also I may have missed this, but is this TL62 you're looking at dated on the neck? Because if they're using the "A" serial number to date it to 1985 that's utterly useless.

A-serial number Fender Japan teles were made well into the 90s.

Again, not that it matters. But so many people want to have a 1985 MIJ Tele because that's when the switchover happened from CBS back to Fender employee-owned, and for a short while in 1985 there were no US-made Fenders...making the Japanese ones top of the heap for a bit. Seems people think they have magic in them.

They don't (and I own one...and yes it's neck dated to July 1985). It's outstanding. But it's just a guitar.

So anyways...again not that it really matters...but are you sure it's an '85 you're looking at? Make sure that's based on a neck date, NOT the serial number.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    All I know is that the neck that came on my 62AVRI Custom Tele is at most 0.750" at the first fret less than 0.800" at the 12th. In other words: the slimmest neck you'll never play because it's unplayable. How you use that information is up to you!

17. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    Yes. The pencil date on the neck says 85!

18. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Cool. It makes it more collectible...but really doesn't make it a better guitar.

What's the price differential you're looking at?

19. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

Aug 24, 2013
    Earth 01
    I can get the MIJ for 800€ and the AVRI for 1400€.

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Tele-Afflicted

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Demand and supply ... but no, there is absoletely no evidence that the 62 should be a better guitar than the 64. It is taste .. you want the bindings and which neck you prefer?

I'd go with the 64 even tho I've always been a sucker for a double bound tele :)

21. superbadj

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    This is 100% my opinion, but the AVRI is nowhere near twice the guitar of the MIJ Fender. But it's nearly twice the cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.