Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1985/86 MIJ Squire

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by creekrat, Mar 4, 2018.

1. creekrat

creekrat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Grove, OK
    05179D55-7443-427D-8124-D7DCF53493E2.jpeg 42CD177F-0CD3-4D55-9D1D-761DF7E8B600.jpeg 87DE50ED-1445-4C67-8FC6-4C97E1BF1803.jpeg i stumbled across this and have the opportunity to possibly pick it up in trade and just wanted to know if any of y’all had feedback or insight on these guitars. The owner says it has a 57 stamped on the neck so I’m making an educated guess that that would lend itself to being a 57 reissue?

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I still don't think the values on these are very high, but they are certainly good instruments. Many came with US pickups and electronics as well. My squier Japanese e7 has been fantastic. Hopefully it's a good trade value in your favor.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of that vintage and it was excellent except for cheap pot metal bridge. The pickups are ceramic but sound great for rock and hot blues.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    That’s not a 57 RI , but it should be a good solid guitar. I really don’t know what if any difference there is in those MIJ Squire Strats vs the MIJ std Strats. A friend of mine has a MIJ std Strat that looks very similar it’s a great guitar, has single bar ceramic magnet pickups and sounds great. He did eventually have to change the 5 way switch and pots but other than that it’s stock , he bought it new around 85-86.

5. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I've got two A serial Squier strats. Both have US electronics; alnico pickups and full-size pots. In America or Europe these should sell for $400 or more, in Japan you can often find them for under $300.

The difference between the Squier and the regular Strats is thinner and lighter basswood body, and a little less finish on the neck (comparing one my Squiers to a regular strat of the same period as I write).

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I thought a lot of the 80s MIJ Strats had basswood bodies? I owned a 50s RI and 60s RI MIJ and AFAIK both had basswood bodies.
    $400 sounds right for high end of market, I have bought used MIJ Squier Strats for much less on occasion.

7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I paid $169 in 1986 for my Fender MIJ Esquire. Had folks play it and offer up to $500

charlie chitlin and codamedia like this.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    OP: That should be a nice a guitar... what kind of tuners are on that one. Are they the sealed Kluson vintage style, modern sealed, or capped style? I can't tell from a front view. Those sell around my neighborhood for about $400 - $500 CAD... which is about $325 - $400 USD.

The only SQUIERS that came with US pickups were the JV "62 Vintage" and JV "57 Vintage" (STRATS ONLY) that were exported to the UK and Canada in '82 and '83. The US never saw those guitars, other than the odd one that trickled down from Canada. Spec for spec they were Fender AVRI guitars under the Squier banner... even the earliest ones in '82 came with the Fender Logo.

beagle and TimothyC like this.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    That sounds about right.
    That's when I bought mine.
    Needed a good guitar that would handle bouncing around in cars/planes for a string of out-of-town gigs.
    Walked into a big music store with $400 in my pocket and walked out with over 200 and a MIJ Squier.
    It was a REALLY good guitar.
    They pulled out 5 or 6 from the back and they ALL had the same little buzz on the high E on the 13th fret.
    My first brush with automated guitar making.
    I kept it for a couple years and traded it for a '61 Supro Dual-Tone that I still have!

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

When I bought mine I was walking past about 8 teles hanging there. As I always do I just grabbed necks with my left hand and about number 6 I stopped. The neck felt great and well finished. All the others were made in USA $500 teles. This one the MIJ Esquire. That was the first I realized Fender had a quality issue. The frets on the Equire were finished carefully with no sharp edges. Almost every fret on the other caught your hand or fingers. No fret buzzing on the Esquire , and no bussing on the USA teles,....... But the action was much lower on the Esquire. Better fretwork all around.

11. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    So, the years Strats were ONLY made in Japan were 84-85 right? I guess the Squire and "US" were the same guitars at that time...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.