1976 tele custom wiring problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by okavipra, Nov 30, 2016.

1. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

Hi
    recently i acquired tele custom 1976 , really love the guitar , but widerange hum is a little dull , from what my friend told me , he says that pots are not original , so
    what would you recommend and is there any original wiring pics for 76 tele custom to get it back , although, i would'nt go with 1 meg pot on bridge , shrill af
    Thanks in advance <3
    here's a pic , first on the right , its at tech right now so i didn't took just its picture
    IMAG0197.jpg

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The originals used all 1meg pots and .022 tone caps. I think I have a picture of the guts of my '73 somewhere. Mine has a mix of plastic and metal shafts and a couple of the original pots are starting to fail so I'll be doing some soldering soon, as well.

okavipra likes this.
  3. milocj

Best I've got right now.
    [​IMG]

4. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

O.O wooow , sorry to bother , but should i use regular cts 1meg or should i go with something better, also can i use 300k for bridge , THANKS A BUNCH , thats a killer looking tele

5. milocj

CTS makes a lot of versions of their pots. Bourns are also good. A 300k wouldn't be much different than a 250k which is the standard for most Tele bridge pups. They could actually measure the same given tolerances.

Mojotone, RS, and I believe Stewmac all have CTS pots made to their own spec. Some are brass shaft, some aluminum, and various degrees of ease of turning. I do like the RS Super Pot for a nice volume taper, but I've used several of the suppliers with good results.

1 meg is best for the neck. Look up Telenator Pickups. He's a member here and specializes in WRHB pickups and has/sells pot recommendations.

jondanger and okavipra like this.
  6. okavipra

okavipra TDPRI Member

thank you so much !!!!!!

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would advise 500K pots. Ymmv. Milo I, that is a great reveal of the faded red in that sunburst.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291501719376

Should look exactly like this. There is a eBsy vendor that reproduced entire tele harness w Jack at reasonable price. Uses all top notch parts has perfect feedback. I'm gonna buy one of his 72 Thinline kits.

I'll look it up later gotta run now

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

$70 here u go. Get it running then you can take u time refurbishing the vintage pots, caps and wiring. As you can see above the original rig is worth refurbishing...worth big $$$$

This rig just drops in and gets your sweet axe back on line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131952727136

Make sure u pick the same shaft and toggle angle, sells multiple choices.

Gorgeous custom btw

10. milocj

[Qoute] I would advise 500K pots. Ymmv. Milo I, that is a great reveal of the faded red in that sunburst. [/qoute]

Hey Wally. I was really surprised the first time I removed the pickguard. The back side has a lot of natural wear, but the red is almost completely perfect. This axe must have seen a lot of sunlight on the front during its life.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Wally likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Hrstrat57, I see a treble bypass cap on that bridge volume control in that assembly that is unlike any I have seen in a vintage Fender. I have a resource with the diagram for the Thinline at my shop. I'll look into it and get back. Fender was the first to use a treble bypass circuit starting in the 1967 Tele's, iirc; but they used just a .001 mfd cap with no resistor. Fwiw, I like a treble bypass circuit, but I would want it on both pickups.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I bought replacement pots for my CIJ Tele Custom (original '74 WRHB) from Telenator and have been happy with them. They're 1 meg and are a little different than a standard audio taper. He's a forum member, general good and helpful dude, and the resident expert on CuNiFe WRHBs.

http://www.telenator.com/volume-pots-tone-pots-capacitors/

To be clear - these are for the neck pickup. When I replaced the bridge pots in mine I used standard Bourns 250k.

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

People with Tele Customs need to realize that it's a "Two Trick Pony."
    The bridge pickup is essentially useless on it's own.
    But when you play bridge/neck together you get a sound that can only be found from that particular guitar.
    The neck pickup alone is also totally sublime.

There are also free wiring diagrams you can download on our website.

From our website:
    A Wide Range Humbucker has a truly unique sound that is simply not found in any other pickup. And a critical part of achieving this sound is the use of 1 meg pots. But not all 1 meg pots are created equal.

Hair Trigger volume response is one of the inherent problems in using traditional audio taper 1 meg pots. The volume control has a very narrow (hair trigger) sweep causing the guitar to completely lose its sound when turning the volume down even slightly from 10 to 8 ½. This makes the guitar very difficult to handle in a live performance. But we have a solution.

The absolute best set-up for “normal” guitar performance is:
    1 meg Linear Taper Pots for the volume controls.
    DiMarzio 1 meg Custom Taper Tone Pots for the tone controls.
    NOTE: Telenator MOD1 sounds best with 250k taper pots.

This combination of pots gives you the widest, most usable sweep of both volume and tone controls making your guitar much more manageable in a live gigging situation.

If you really dig the sound of the original or Telenator Wide Range Humbuckers in your guitar, it might be worthwhile to change the pots. It will improve the way the guitar handles tremendously!

DISCLAIMER: This information applies ONLY to Telenator WRHBs and 70’s vintage original WRHBs.
    These specs do not apply to any other aftermarket pickup brands.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  14. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Personally on my Tele Custom it has the 1 meg pots they originally came with. No need to alter those if they are working(sorry Wally but the WRHB needs 1 meg pots unless you like really dark guitar sounds). I swapped out the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan 1953 Tapped and it mates up way better than the stock Telecaster bridge pickup. It has 250K pots with a tone pot with a pull switch to access the tapped position. I generally leave it in the hotter output position(up is for lower output). It works way better with this pickup though I am sure there are other higher output Tele bridge pickups that would suffice. Then it becomes a 4 trick pony with middle position having two options with the tapped pickup. I used a .22 cap on that pickup for personal taste and I added treble bleed cap/resistor on both pickups as I play around with my volume pots constantly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.