Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1976(?) Fender Oxford 12L6-12 Speaker restore.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Airguitar, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

1. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    I saw this Fender Oxford 12L6-12 on eBay in Germany for a good price and thought I'd like to do a restoration project on it.
    It arrived in appropriate condition for it's age and price..
    [​IMG]

The previous owner had tried to keep it going by painting some kind of adhesive around the edge of the cone, where it tends to fail first. I guess it did the job for a time but as the material gets older it's bound to fail somewhere else, and fail it did...
    [​IMG]

I already did some research on it and it's more likely a 76 than a 66 model. As most Amp Nerds know, the codes on the speaker leave some guesswork, so I did some Googling and came to the conclusion it's a '76, due to the basket design. The Manufacturerer's label had come off during shipping. Luckily I looked carefully in the packing and it was there. Stored it in a bag until it was ready to be put back.
    [​IMG]

Time to get to work on the rust. This speaker has seen some action..
    I guess I should mention that I am not doing this restore for collector's purposes, but rather to learn something new, and if successful, to put it into the amp I want to build later on.
    Therefore, all purists look the other way. This is not going to be pretty!
    (Yes it will!!!)
    [​IMG]
    Scotchbrite is my friend!!

Basket cleaned and masked. I taped over the manufacturer's stamp to keep it visible after matt black spray painting, as well as the terminal assy and magnet..
    At this point I'm only doing the outside basket.
    I know, why not do it all at once after removing the cone??
    I was having FUN!
    [​IMG]

Matt black finish, still wet.
    [​IMG]

..and dry.
    [​IMG]

I know it looks good enough right here, but I wanted to protect the old stamps on the basket.
    You can see at the 10 o'clock position where the masked off stamp is visible.
    [​IMG]

Label glued back on. I actually just brushed the old glue on the back with a bit of thinner and put it back in place. It's still wet in this photo but it dried out perfectly. Looks good!
    [​IMG]

Then I added a clear coat over it to seal everything.. Here's where I went rogue.. However it will be sealed against the elements for years to come now.
    [​IMG]

More to follow.

BobbyZ likes this.

2. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Good to do all that before you pull the cone, so you don't get so much debris in the gap.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Good job !
    Looking forward to see you proceed

4. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    Day 2.
    I sharpened up my trusty old shop knife and embarked on my mission of destruction.
    The cone gasket came away quite easily. I felt bad about cutting up the cone like this, but a man's gotta do...
    [​IMG]

Gaskets removed.
    I rewarded myself with a nice German beer.
    [​IMG]

Lousy photo, sorry, (No it wasn't the beer!!).
    I trimmed away around the voice coil and flyleads to be able to lift the cone out.
    [​IMG]

Cone removed, voice coil and spider still in place.
    [​IMG]

Picture overload maybe, but I wanted to record everything I could for later reference.
    Rust is nasty..
    [​IMG]

Rust on the inside of the basket needed to be addressed and the gasket flange needed cleaning up too. I decided to do that while the spider was still protecting the magnet area and gap.
    Scotchbrite works great!
    [​IMG]

First measurement of the day: Spider diameter: 118mm. (4.65")
    [​IMG]

Spider bast to Coil former edge: 20.70mm (0.815")
    [​IMG]

Coil former height: 30.24mm (1.19")
    [​IMG]

Coil Former Diameter: 39.9mm (1.571")
    [​IMG]

Coil Diameter: 4.010mm (1.575")
    [​IMG]

Wire Diameter 0.22mm (0.009")
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 3:49 AM

5. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    This was a difficult measurement as I couldn't get the caliper into the basket so I resorted to the tape.
    Pole Diameter: 37mm (1.4567")
    Top plate diameter: 39.5mm (1.555")
    Gap: 1.25mm (0.049")
    [​IMG]

I used an artist's trowel to clean up the gluing of the spider ring after cutting the spider free and removing the voice coil, being careful to tape up the air gap.
    [​IMG]

After more scotchbrite and cleaning up with a rag and some thinner, I masked up and started the paint job on the basket inside.
    [​IMG]

The final basket, awaiting the recone kit. I see some glue residue on the Bezel but I think it's thin enough to be of no consequence.
    [​IMG]

Until the reconing kit arrives it's back in the box.
    Here's a pic of the kit from the website:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for watching.. See you in a while...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 3:58 AM

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nice. FYI, quite a few of your pictures in the second to last post are dead links. If you wanted it for posterity, maybe try again?

7. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    Thanks, I saw they aren't responding. Not sure why. I'll figure it out.. :p

DONE ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 3:50 AM
    Mr Ridesglide and moosie like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.