Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1972 Telecaster purchase - newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by cstonehouse, Jul 4, 2017.

1. cstonehouse

cstonehouse TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Calgary, AB
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was looking for some information on a 1972 Tele I picked up. Other than the obvious humbucker route, any other information you can give me would be helpful. It would appear at least the bridge pickup has been replaced (or rewound) The neck pickup- I have no idea. Any feedback is welcomed to help me determine info on it. The "peace" signs in the neck cavity are a cute "war time" bonus... Torres stamped on neck itself...

Attached Files:

2. cstonehouse

cstonehouse TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Calgary, AB
    More pics to help
    Further...

Attached Files:

3. cstonehouse

cstonehouse TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Calgary, AB

4. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    A '72 will have plastic covered wires on both neck and bridge...you might have a nice matched boutique set there!....ceramic caps look period,should be a nice Tele!

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    The pot's look original, keep those they're made better then the one's made today,
    come to think of it I have two of those in my parts Tele I made.

6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Was that par for the course to have a 250K volume and a 1M Tone? What period was that done?

7. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    That was not par. Two 1 megs was standard then.

8. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Chandler, Arizona
    Tom Short Pickups maybe?
    Google Teleology.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Serial # and Neck Stamp indicate a 1973, not a 1972.
    That's just FYI... it really doesn't make much difference, if any!

The route was common... one must remember that during the 80's these guitars had no value ($200 - $300 or so) and everybody started modding them... most often for a middle pickup (a la strat) but also for mini humbuckers. Even Brent Mason modded his tele to the extreme. The 250k volume would not be original, but again - it was very common to do that.

I was going to say the pickups didn't appear original, but that seems to be discussed already. Also, the switch tip should have been a TOP HAT not a strat tip. It would be nice to see the neck, headstock, tuners and bridge. Just sayin'

Overall, I'd say that's a fine guitar. It still has value... just make note of all the changes and try not to make any new ones unless back toward original.

Just my 2 cents.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.