Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1970s Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TheodoreTelevelt, Dec 15, 2017.

1. TheodoreTelevelt

TheodoreTelevelt TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    I've never had the chance to play one, but I'm thinking about buying a mid 70s DR online. I don't love the idea of buying without trying, but I don't exactly see vintage deluxe reverbs all over the place...at least close to me, anyway...

There's what looks to be a nice, mostly original mid 70s deluxe reverb, at a decent price. The person listing it mentions a "very mild hum" and states that it's normal for vintage amps to have some mild humming.

Tell me, wiser-than-me gear hounds, does this sound about right? Or should I be wary?

Thanks!

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    hum could be a serious issue

Can very well be tube-related; but if not; this is a deal breaker (to me)

nojazzhere and TheodoreTelevelt like this.

3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Has the amp been serviced? If not, factor that into the price; the cost of a complete service. A mild hum could be anything from a mis-matched set of power tubes, bad phase inverter tube or old filter capacitors.

4. TheodoreTelevelt

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    Here's what the listing says:

"...When amp is on there is a some very mild hum....completely normal for an original vintage amp but I'm writing it here in case you’re not familiar..."

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I have a '65 Tremolux that is just about silent. Hum is not normal. But it is also normal (in my mind) to plan on taking any newly bought old amp to a tech. These amps were built like tanks but need some occasional love. If the price of the amp plus $200 for potential service is within your reach, go for it.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I have a 72 Deluxe Reverb, it does not hum although I did service the amp with caps, tubes and a few resistors.
    As noted above always expect to spend $150 to $300 to refresh the parts that need replacing with age. Even if someone says the amp was serviced sometime previously it should be rechecked again after you buy it.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I would say hum is in the ear of the beholder...what one person hears as hum might be just normal operation sound....or it could indicated something needs fixin'. Like Bob M says, they will need occasional attention. The nice thing is, since they're hand-wired, just about everything is fixable, and replacement parts are available. What is "decent" price? What shape is the cabinet in? Speaker? Good luck....

TheodoreTelevelt likes this.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Here's my view, whatever you buy it for, add $300 for a full cap job and bench test. Then you will have something.

Fiesta Red and TheodoreTelevelt like this.

9. TheodoreTelevelt

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    About 1,200. Very clean looking for a mid 70's amp. It says all original but I see in the pic that a three-pronger was added. Of course, that is good, but not original.

nojazzhere likes this.

10. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I think a 3 pronger is original, at least on the mid 70s models. Mine is a 74 or 75 and the 3 pronger is stock.

Incidentally, sometimes mine has a tiny hum, usually it is dead quiet.

Now for the record, mine's never been serviced :eek: as long as I have owned it, and although everyone on this forum said that is craziness, I chose to roll the dice on that one because it sounds perfect to me and frankly, I'm afraid if it gets touched, it might not sound the same afterwards (I hate when that happens). Sooner or later I will get it serviced though.

nojazzhere and TheodoreTelevelt like this.

11. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    And oh my lord, how I've discovered that this amp sounds SO GOOD with p-90s! Better than any other single coils or HBs that I own anyways.

12. TheodoreTelevelt

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    I didn't realize the three prongers were used yet back then. Good to know!

13. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I'm not an expert by any means, someone else here will know what year they started with the 3 pronger, maybe even google knows, but I would guess it might have even been late 60s or early 70s DRs.

14. Cfidave

Cfidave TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Elmira,ny
    I hear this all the time, " hum is normal in tube amps". Hum is not normal and is an indication that something is not quite right. Could be simple, could be a more complex issue. The good news is that it is usually something that can be fixed.

15. TheodoreTelevelt

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    Crap. Now I'm going to want a guitar with P90s too.

Telecasterless likes this.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa

17. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    D'OH!!!
    I didn't even look closely...just did a quick search.
    Ooops.
    That price is HIGH!

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    $1,200 for a mid-70s DR? In my neck of the woods that's a deal! Look at E-Bay or Reverb. Even if you have to throw a couple hundred into a service you are in the ball park price-wise. For the record I had a '73 Twin that came new with a 3 prong plug. I think a 3 prong on a mid-70s DR is factory.

20. TheodoreTelevelt

Apr 10, 2017
    Philly
    Aaaand just like that it's gone. The search continues!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.