Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1970 Fender Rosewood Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by TVmodel, Aug 25, 2017.

1. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey
    Hi guys-

I just purchased this beautiful 1970 Fender Rosewood Telecaster from a very reputable dealer. The guitar is killer; light for a rosewood guitar (about 8 1/2 pounds) and sounds and plays incredible.
    I am more than happy.
    That being said...a couple of guys who I respect in the vintage and used world advised me to "be careful" about rosewood telecasters and that there are a lot of fakes out there. Any advice on any tells or what to look out for on a guitar like this? The guitar is a great one and, quite frankly, the only other one I ever played was an '86 (?) Japanese reissue; nice guitar but this blows it away. I'm into it for 5 figures so any help would be appreciated....Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rob2, brookdalebill and Ripradiant like this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    Great looking guitar!

3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    Lovely!....looks great!

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Can you pull the control plate and post a pic? Back of the headstock? Heel of the neck join?

It looks like it may have a few repro parts like the bridge cover, possibly control knobs. But the body shape, sandwich construction and a few other parts look right. It'd be great to look in the neck joint and pickup cavities to be sure. Pic closeup of the underside of the switch knob, too.

Do you have the option of return?

5. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Did the Fender neck have the truss rod plug on the headstock like that?

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yep. It still had the plug and skunk stripe.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    You already did the best thing....bought from a reputable shop. Gorgeous tele, love the rosewoods.

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm guessing you picked it up from a shop in Philly. Did you get the price down at all, if this is correct?

9. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey
    No....I bought it from Chicago Music Exchgange. I always get a nice deal from them. I own other vintage guitars but this is my first rosewood telecaster. I'll shoot a couple of more pics....I hate taking guitars apart since this one is set up so nice and really sounds and plays great. CME is always cool and I have a no questions asked return option.
    I love the guitar and have no reason to suspect otherwise...but I thought I'd come to the kind experts here...thanks for looking and for your help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    lewis likes this.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you pull the switchknob off, underneath it says 'Dakaware R' that's a good sign.

images (22).jpg I think that looks OK. I have a NOS 70's bridgeplate on mine and it looks a bit different, but the cheaper MIM ones say Fender and no Pat Pending.

IMG_20170827_134943.jpg

The wear on the back the the body is reassuring too, you can't fake that. Tuners, neckplate looks good too, should have a gasket but lots have lost it. The waxed white string and staggered poles is all good, it's a subtle stagger not like mine. You'd have to pull the pickups out, but they should have grey bobbins

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017

11. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey
    Looks like a changed pot; wires are yellow, black and white...
    [​IMG]

12. TVmodel

TVmodel TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Hoboken, New jersey

13. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think that looks fairly good. Pots, Oak Grigsby switch - more like 60's bits than 70's, that's what you'd expect. I think around there was when they went pickguard mounted neck, so body is fine. The neck bobbin looks OK, plastic wires, should be 1 meg pots. Ceramic tone cap is correct. That looks fairly unmolested.

14. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    No red flags here though I've never seen a rosewood from that era. Bridge correct for early 70s, one string tree, I'd not expect a neckplate gasket in 1970.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.