1970 Champ transformer with resin on outside?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Blueguitar007, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Blueguitar007

Blueguitar007 TDPRI Member

I bought a 1970 Camp that is a closet classic - no scratches on face-plate..everything immaculate.
    Everything looks great but the transformer has some sort of hard resin around the outside..the sides only, not the top.
    Inside the amp the transformer looks good. It works fine, just wondering if anyone has seen this before?
    It looks like someone painted this on at the factory. The owner did no work at all except one electrolytic cap was replaced - everything else, including cap can and speaker is original.
    I replaced a blown resistor and swapped out the electrolytic caps. Amp sounds great btw.
    I have yet to find a google image of this. It's hard resin type material that is about 1- 2mm thick and uniform all around, albeit not super neat looking. It seems to be on there for eternity; I don't think you could get it off if you wanted to. I don't mind it, but never have seen this in any of the Fenders I've had including a few of these SF Champs.
    Any info appreciated,
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

definitely not a factory job that I've ever seen. i wonder if somebody gooped on some epoxy to try to seal the potting wax from leaking out of the transformer? no idea...

then again, if it's not hurting anything and it sounds good... maybe it's some long lost tone secret...

Blueguitar007 likes this.
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sometimes transformers hum in use.

Nothing wrong, they just do.

Usually can be cured by tightening the screws.

Maybe that one wouldn't stop humming so someone gooped it?

peteb likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you can peel it off easily, maybe do so. It might take off some clear lacquer - might be an idea to hit it with some clear.

But if it's working and sounds good I wouldn't worry. It isn't damaged most likely. People do odd things sometimes with good but misguided intentions.

Blueguitar007 likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not factory, hard to say what someone did, maybe they were just trying to cover some rust and made a bad choice of goop.

6. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Epoxy is what came to my mind the instant I saw it. 2 part epoxy. Like JB weld. white + black = gray

That's the only reason that makes sense to me.

7. Blueguitar007

Thanks for the insights. Just so weird that the rest of the amp is unmolested.

8. Blueguitar007

Amp is dead quiet..don't think it would have had hum issues. Champs are usually dead quiet.

9. Blueguitar007

A sculptor with a chisel might be able to but I'm not going to mess with it.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest not messing with it. This is the same amp that has the brightness issue, correct? Too bright?
    Same advice as I; that thread.....take voltage measurements to beg8; the process of understanding what is going on with the amp. Do the math on the bias numbers. Figure out what you have.....or get a tech??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.