Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1969 Tele Jack Retainer Clip - Flat or Pointed?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CWP0126, Apr 9, 2017.

1. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi everyone, this is my first post!

I have a 1969 Telecaster I am restoring (not the guitar in the avatar, that is a MIJ reissue) and it needs the jack retainer clip. I was wondering if the original would have had flat or pointed ends. I see both types offered for sale, and looking inside the cavity I can't tell what would have originally been there. I've done multiple searches and can't seem to find this information.

Thanks for your help, this forum has provided a wealth of knowledge to me already!!! :)

2. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I need to clarify my question. Can anyone tell me how the retainer clip is supposed to work? The clip with the points looks like it is supposed to dig into the wood and grip with the points as it is tightened. Does the flat base clip do the same thing without gouging into the wood, and just stays there with tension? This body has a couple of offset grooves inside the jack cavity that looks like the flat plate would drop into, but they don't look to me like they are deep enough for the entire cup.

I know this sounds extremely trivial, but I just want to get the right replacement so I don't run into problems later.

All of your help is extremely appreciated!

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I don't know if this helps but this is my bass players 69 jack pic. I don't know what it looks like inside because I never had it off. Platefire DSC03540.JPG

4. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi Platefire,

Thanks for the pic! It does help because it shows the depth of the cup, and the clip has to sit right behind there. The grooves in mine are just inside the opening, and I was also wondering if there were two kinds of cups, one shallow and one deeper. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to mess with their jack to answer this question!

I'm just going to order one of each kind of retainer, and hopefully the flat one will work without having to use the pointed one that I assume has to dig into the sides of the cavity. I would think that someone would have pulled one of these out at sometime and know if it is supposed to be flat or pointed, but it is also possible Fender used both over the years!

Thanks again, and btw, I really enjoyed the thread you posted with all the pics of that guitar! Sweet Tele! CWP

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Have a 68 and think it has square ends on that part from when I installed a Switchcraft back then. It's held in by right-turning into grooves in the wood. Would be like a screw but only a partial turn.

Just has to bite into the wood and hold.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    You need a tool to install the clip otherwise them clips are impossible to install
    stewmac sell them http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._and_Pickups/Tele_Jack_Installation_Tool.html
    as for the clip either 2 prong or flat once it is installed it makes no difference
    personally if the tool is never going to be used again i would just put a electrosocket in there it will not need any mods to you guitar they are more stable and easy to install

8. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi everyone, thanks again for the replies! I have seen that thread about installing the clip and understand it is impossible to install without making a tool or buying the one from StewMac. I also ran across a YouTube video where someone made a homemade tool with a bolt, some nuts and washers. I'll try that first and see how it goes.

Thanks netgear for the suggestion on the Electrosocket. I may go that route if this proves to be too much of a hassle, but I would rather go with the original cup just because of the year. If it was a newer Tele I wouldn't hesitate to put an Electrosocket in. The '86 Paisley in my avatar came with a Les Paul jack plate installed, so no worries there!

9. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2004
    Berlin,Germany
    i would like to have link to the youtube video with the homemade tool, please.

velorex

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

May 27, 2009
    South Bend, Indiana
    The original clips don't have the points on them but the pointed clips just go deeper into the wood to give you a little more holding power. Once they are installed, you typically don't see the points since they are buried in the wood. Which ever way you decide to go, I would highly recommend that you find someone in your area that has the tool for installing the retaining clip because it's extremely important that the clip is installed correctly and at the proper depth in the hole.

11. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi Velorex, here is the link to the video:

It's kind of hard to see exactly what he's doing, but you get the idea. The comment section mentions the TDPRI thread and explains the process a bit so check that out too.

Edit:
    I see when I linked the URL it imbedded the video in the thread and you can't read the comments. Search for "Easy Way To Install Telecaster Retainer Clip" and you should be able to find it that way and see the comments.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

12. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi Tommyboy,

Thanks for the reply and insight into the flat vs pointed thing. I may go ahead and buy the tool even if I'm just going to use it once because I definitely want to get it right the first time and not have a sloppy jack constantly frustrating me. Getting the depth correct is what's concerning me the most at this point.

13. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I have a stewmac tool if you are planning on making one the depth for the clasp is a fraction over 8mm jack plug clasp.jpg

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The tool has a stop on it. You thread the clip on the tool, insert the tool until the shoulder meets the body, and tighten the lead screw, and the clip is placed in the right spot. That's the downside of the homemade tools, but if you measure carefully you'll be fine. On the other hand, if you get it in the wrong spot you just drive the bad clip into the control cavity and try again. Not a big deal at all.

15. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi Netgear, thanks for that 8mm measurement!

And good point DSutton, I can just punch it out if I get it in the wrong spot and try again.

Thank you all for the advice, it is much appreciated!
    CWP

16. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Here's a pic of the tool I saved from that T Downs thread tele_jack_clip_tool.jpg

He then revised it with an eye bolt to make it more user friendly

tele_jack_clip_tool_eye_hook.jpg

Attached Files:

CWP0126 and Guitaficio like this.

17. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Thanks for the pic 61fury!

18. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Hey, I just pulled a retainer from my '69.
    I'll grab a pic of it tomorrow for you if you still need the info?

Some bright spark epoxy'd the input jack right to the clip
    IMG_20170707_185659545_HDR.jpg

CWP0126 likes this.

19. CWP0126

CWP0126 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi thanks Mattdean,

I ended up buying the StewMac tool, but I would be interested in seeing a pic of the original clip.

Ugh, epoxy. I hope you are able to clean that up without too much hassle!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.