Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1969 Parts Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by aburr, May 20, 2017.

1. aburr

aburr TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Cleveland
    Hi guys I'm new here so if this is the incorrect subforum please let me know. So basically I have an opportunity to buy a 69 with a rosewood board, but the catch is the body is not original. Everything is 69, but the body and pickguard. You guys think $1900 is too much? Here is a picture! [​IMG]

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    No insult intended but to be clear: you're going to put out almost $2,000 for a 1969 neck, controls, bridge you can get anywhere, tuners that suck and hopefully 69 pickups ?

You have no way of knowing if what you are getting is new stock, old stock or whatever related to most parts. Additionally most of it can be replaced by driving down the street to the local music store except maybe for the plate with the serial number. I have a 68 & would rather buy something new instead of a few pieces from that year but good-luck with it. Personal preference --- might be a hard sell if you ever want to dump it.

At least the seller seems to be up front and honest about what it is, so that's a good start.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Tonetele and Ripradiant like this.

3. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I agree with above - I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Spend a few extra bucks (if needed) and wait for the right guitar to come along and you will be happier and have an authentic and valuable investment.

4. aburr

aburr TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Cleveland
    I definitely see your points. Even if everything was guaranteed 1969, but the body, I am afraid of moving it for $2k. I may save for a bit longer and get something like a Danocaster or a K-Line. Even early 70s are too pricey high as a student if they're all original haha

5. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Hmmm, yes that sounds expensive and risky to me too. I would continue my search or try to get the price down if you really like the guitar.

6. old crow

old crow TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Vantage
    My opinion on mutts like this is: and this is just my personal feeling...
    My number one factor is sound..You need to play it.
    It could be the holy grail or not at all what you were hoping to hear.
    If it has " that sound" ...you know, the one that's in your head, then the next test is feel...Is the neck comfortable for you.?
    If I could find a guitar that had those two features, I'd
    say it's worth $2k.
    It could be an old black guard or a New Mexican one..
    but my experience has been most of the best ones have
    old growth wood and necks seem to a pretty high percentage of the formula to achieve that sound...at least, that's what I've noticed.
    Of course, the guitars being considered, need to be set up by a pro or someone who really knows what they're
    doing.

lycheelassi and Piotr like this.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    From what I can tell, if it's all real parts, except what you noted, the parts are worth that much.
    Parts prices are insane.
    If the neck has original frets and no extra string tree hole...never been "Schallered" or Grovered...
    Original pickups, pots, caps...
    If you decided to flip it, you'd be best off parting it out.
    BTW...I sure would like a set of real '69 pickups ;)

mc84 and Piotr like this.

8. aburr

aburr TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Cleveland
    I'm still going to go check it out for sure, but if I'm not absolutely blown away I think I will walk if I can't get it down to at least $1750. Based on other pictures the seller sent the neck has original frets with very little wear and is very, very clean.

9. lycheelassi

lycheelassi TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Berlin
    i totally agree with old crow!!! try to compare it with other teles you like. that friends own or they have in the store.
    plan b - i suggest - would be to try and find a jv squire or 90s made in japan fender and maybe upgrade PUs/bridge.

10. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Unless you really want a 'vintage' guitar, I wouldn't touch it.
    Frankly, the new ones are much better.

11. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    As a collector guitar it sounds like a terrible risk. As a guitar to play, you just have to play it and decide if it's better than anything else you could get for $2k - which buys you quite a lot of telecaster.
    Personally I wouldn't consider it.

12. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    If it sounds good in a unique way as compared to new ones in the store, and if the pups are truly original, which means not dipped in wax, I'd consider it. Btw, a Tele's neck is responsible for much of the tone and vibe, so the guitar should sound decent even if the body is a turkey. (hee ..hope all that made sense).

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa

14. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I guess I'll play devils advocate. As long as I could verify everything as being genuine and authentic, mainly the neck and pickups, I would be extremely interested.

A late 60s neck by itself is worth anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 dollars.

Here is an example of a 1965 that sold on eBay for $1695.00. Remember not listed but sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-FENDER...283358?hash=item33cf6bd79e:g:UwUAAOSw~y9ZJgsu

And then vintage pickups are definitely a commodity as well.

Here are two that sold for almost $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Fender...562321?hash=item1a2d717e51:g:TzYAAOSw3gJZNJik

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Fender...559363?hash=item1a2d7172c3:g:c9YAAOSwYvFZNJdd

If he is asking $1900 I would offer him $1500, maybe $1600 if it all checked out.

If you decide not to get it please let me know and where I can contact the owner. I love making a partscaster out of genuine 60s Telecaster parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.