Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1968 Telecaster Bass stolen in 1971

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Dan Skammer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    In the fall of 1969 I bought a new blonde Telecaster bass and OHSC from a music shop Woodstock,N.Y. I moved to N.Y.C. a year later to attend School of Visual Arts and had the bass with me in a tiny apt. on 331 E.5th st. NYC, I went home for the Christmas holiday, when I got back to the apt. my '68 tele Bass was gone, only that. There were some junky musicians lived next door, I always assumed they did it since they knew i had the bass, but couldn't prove it . I reported it to NYPD , nothing came of it since i didn't have the serial # , the bill of sale was probably in the case. Recently, I was going through some 60's guitar catalogs in my archives, out fell the original hang tag with the serial number written inside, plus stamps of the assemblers from the Fender factory. I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack to ever locate it and recover it ..I posted it on something like stolenguitarregistry.com haven't heard from them yet. I apparently sent the warrranty card to Fender when i bought it, to prove I owned it,since it was attached to the hang tag. Does Fender keep a database of new instruments from that long ago to prove i owned and bought it in 1969? Is there a statute of limitations on stolen instruments from that long ago?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Good luck, hope you get it back.
    68 Tele basses are ultra cool.
    I always think of Dusty Hill's bass.

3. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Wow, bummer of a story. I hate thieves.

I don't know any answers to your questions regarding Fender databases and statutes of limitations, but you may perhaps want to post the serial number in case someone has the bass, or even just the neckplate.

There are a lot of old 60s neckplates being sold online right now, at this exact moment, on Reverb and eBay because so many old Fenders were torn apart by parters. Unfortunately it also usually means the rest of the guitar has been scattered to the four winds. Maybe someone has your old serial number, and some serious detective work could work it back to your bass.

It is a long shot by far, but worth a try. Best of luck to you and I hope you find it!

I hate thieves!

4. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    thanks guys, I felt I was getting a sign when that original hang tag showed itself after 48 years! that's the only proof i have...I'll keep looking on ebay, reverb, gbase, etc. where you can see the serial numbers..

5. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    BTW the serial # is 231533 , i'm almost positive is 1st year Fender T.B. , I've looked at other ones for sale, mine is is the lowest serial # so far..slab body, no contours.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Use to deal with alumni donations for a university (art, books etc.)anything remotely iffy with provenance we turned over to legal, however my understanding is that a theif cannot transfer title, if you have proof of ownership you should at least have the basis for recovery. However unless you get a very honest individual who will fess up to having it I doubt you will ever hear of it again. If you were to some how find it on your own there are also some issues dealing with the time frame, (you need to avoid unreasonable delay in your claim) the fact that you filed a police report BITD, is a positive, the time that it took you to find the paperwork could be a negative. As is the fact it's not actually a receipt .There is also a concept of uniqueness, or the lack there of which comes into play in certain cases. An attorney could give you a better idea of the specifics of your case

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

7. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    yeah thanks, I know the chance of ever getting that back again is slim to none..it's probably changed hands 5 times , been refinished , lost at sea, parted out, in another country, etc. etc. like i said, finding the original hang tag with serial # after almost 50 years gave me a renewed interest..be on the look out guys!

8. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    Just good luck even if it's a very long shot. I feel sick every time I read about the scum who have stolen our instruments:mad: however long ago.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    48 years later and still hopeful of recovery, stranger things have happened! I hope you are reunited with your bass. I lost a guitar that I gigged about 14 years with. To this day my first impulse when walking into any pawnshop is to scan the walls for my strat. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Hope karma works to your advantage and you get to have your bass back. The internet is an amazing asset. Plug that serial number into google, and check some of the used instrument sites, like Reverb.com. You never know what might turn up. A couple of years ago a man from NYC got his Corvette back that had been stolen in the early 1970's. It was found in a group of cars being shipped overseas. It had been re-engined, and painted a couple of times, but he was shocked when the police called him and returned his car.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Well that reunion would be very cool. I wish you luck.

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    That would vary country to country and possibly state to state. I highly doubt there is much to uphold after this long. It's likely changed hands several times... the original thief is long gone, possibly dead.

Was insurance involved? If you got a buy out, it's pretty much closed.

13. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.
    no, I didn't get a buy out . I was a nieve 18 yr old kid in art school.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    There's a lesson here. don't keep associated paperwork etc in the case of the guitar.
    That old warranty card only shows that it was once In your possession. it doesn't prove you didn't later sell it.

15. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Saugerties,N.Y.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.