Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1967: Year of Transition

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by pcasarona, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia

2. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL

Love your guitar! The Teal Green is way cool. Do you know what the original color was? I'm guessing Natural, Blonde, or Burst based on the fact that it is an Ash Body. Aug was a real transition month. Looks as though both necks have the earlier transition logo. Did they both have Kluson's as well? Would you be willing to share the Serial # so I can add it to my data?

Thanks for sharing!

3. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Hacksaw,

After reading your original post and all the excellent replies you received, I'm not sure how much I can add other than to say that body is cool as the other side of the pillow! I love a one piece body! I love a nice piece of wood and yours is gorgeous!

I also agree that it would not be worth it to me to fill the hb route; I've seen much worse. The neck looks to be very original and correct for a '72. What do you know about the bridge plate and saddles?

Bottom line: if it plays well and you like the combination of components, I wouldn't change a thing. Especially considering that it may not be possible to put an exact date on the body; although certainly vintage (pre '74 and probably pre '69), it would cost a small fortune to put period correct neck and hardware, and you might end up with a guitar that you don't like nearly as much.

4. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Serial number is #204077

Original neck's decal was gone and replaced by a cheap too new looking transition copy. I had it replaced by a better looking one when I had it restored. But the two necks of this guitar illustrate well how August is a transition month as this neck original to the guitar had Kluson type copy tuners and there were no added holes on the headstock, so I purchased original Kluson tuners for it. The second neck of the same month came without tuners and the holes were easy to read too : this one had F tuners. So I left my beautiful original two lines Kluson aside and purchased old F tuners for this neck… I don't know the original color, my guessing is the same as yours. I'll check in the pictures I must have taken of the body alone. I don't remember if the routes show something else than orange…

pcasarona likes this.

5. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    By the way, here's a picture of the headstock of the second neck with its fading transition decal. I'm not sure what they've done with it, they seem to have added a colored overspray, but I love the way it looks now and the darker color of the neck looks gorgeous with the teal green.

67headstock.gif

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Haymarket Virginia
    When I got the guitar, it had a 6 saddle bridge, not sure of the brand. I installed the current one, Fender, with my attempt at aging to somewhat match the body. I'm not changing anything else, I view it kind of like an old pick-up truck.
    Thanks for the comments.

7. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL

Nice!

8. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Like an old pair of perfectly broken-in blue jeans!

9. Oldwood

Oldwood TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Nice post, I appreciate it. I have been lurking here for years but never posted anything. But this post is a great place to start because I bought a 67 this week with issues. As near as I can tell the neck and body are original because of the neck date (OCT 67) and features (logo and tuners) as well as the body route and holes. the primary issue is an unprofessional refinish of both the body and neck) and replaced parts (electronics, pickups and bridge). I have it disassembled now, but would be happy to contribute details to your database and compare features to what you have gathered.

10. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Yum, looking forward to watching pictures ;)

11. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2005
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    I absolutely love your efforts!

With 1967 being my birth year I definitely have a special interest in this thread.

Would you happen to have a Tele with an Oct, 10 date in your collection? I'd love to see a Tele that was built the day I was born.

Also, how many examples of the Smugglers Tele have you found?

Thanks again for your efforts!

12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    That’s the year I started smoking. Kool filters. That’s what everybody smoked in Detroit in 1967. Went from being a total good grade nerd to a bad boy just from smoking. Big transition.

nojazzhere likes this.

13. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Oldwood,

Thanks, would love to include you guitar in the data. Attached, please find the data I have so far. I currently have data on 106 1967's. Some very interesting trends and exception noted. My main focus is transition items such as tuning machines, logo, etc. compared to neck stamp date and serial number. I have found the neck stamp date to be much more reliable than the serial number as the neckplates apparently were not used in a very strict sequence at the factory and were sometimes replaced after-market. Would also love to get a nice over-all photo of your guitar.

Paul

Attached Files:

14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    '67 was my first year out of diapers. Talk about transition years!

15. Oldwood

Oldwood TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the treasure trove of information. I will send pictures and full details of mine on Saturday. It is currently disassembled but I will put it together for some photos.
    May I ask How long RS expects the refinish to take?

16. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Oldwood,

I wouldn't want to speak for them on any future work as I'm sure there are busy times and slow time in any business, but on my refin they told me approximately 3-4 months. This of course includes the aging process.

17. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

18. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL

19. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Chip,
    I don't think you can date a guitar down to the day, but certainly the month of production. I have 18 Tele's on my list right now that I believe were built in Oct. '67 and I have pictures of all but one of those. Too many to post, but if you tell me your favorite finish, I'll see if I have an image of one in that finish. Only have 3 Smuggler's on the list currently.

Paul

List attached.

Attached Files:

20. Major Gruber

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.