Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1967 Goya amp head

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg I just can't say "no" to odd, rare amps. What little info is available indicates these were only sold in 1967 and were gone (for possibly numerous reasons) 75 watts 2 channel, built in fx, looks like 5 12ax7's and two (perhaps) 6l6's?
    Anyone ever seen one ?

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Never heard of that amp, but I love their beans and frozen empanadas.

3. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Where's the input(s)?

In the rear?

4. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    On the right end as you're facing it. I'll see if I can post some more pictures

5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I like it. It looks nice. Buttons and lights and colored knobs. Looks unmolested.

6. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I'd be interested to find out who actually built these. I wouldn't think Goya would invest the resources to build their own amp for just one year and then stop it? They offered two amps in the '67 catalog. This one for guitar with a cool 2x12 cab and a bass stack. By the '68 catalog no amps were offered.

Just when I thought I'd seen about everything image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Il Duce and Nickfl like this.

7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I was going to speculate that maybe they built them for someone else, and that it looked a bit like some of the Guild line.

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Guitar_Amplifier_Values/Amplifier_Manufacturer.aspx?id=GOYA

" In 1963 the company changed its name to the Goya Musical Instrument Corporation. It was around this same time that Goya started offering guitar amplifiers. Not much is known about Goya amps, but they only appear to have been offered during the 1960s.
    Goya was purchased by Avnet (see Guild) in 1966, and continued to import instruments such as the Rangemaster in 1967. By the late 1960s, electric solid body guitars and basses were then being built in Italy by the EKO company. Avnet then sold the Goya trademark to Kustom Electronics. It has been estimated that the later Goya instruments of the 1970s were built in Japan."

[​IMG]
    Family resemblance ?
    At any rate, true rare bird.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This thing is too cool.

We're did you find it, and what's your next step?

Did you actually turn it on yet!?

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The cab jacks are in the rear?

10. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I couldn't sleep last night and started looking at Reverb to kill some time and there it was !
    It was sold as not working so it's headed to Skip Simmons here in N Ca to get it running again. I'd like to think I could find the cab but I doubt it

11. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Yes

12. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Wow you might be right !!

jimash likes this.

13. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I'm looking at my '67 Guild Thunderbass with 2x15" cab
    The similarities are quite noticeable

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    jimash likes this.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Apparently they also made a suitcase amp, it's the only one I found on the internet. It's called the "Attache".

15. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Does it look like a Guild build?

16. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA

17. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Very weird and very cool!

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I never have any luck finding cool stuff.

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Glad it's heading in for work. Even if it operated it needs to be serviced right away. The caps are ancient and if it's been sitting for a long time they're also crystallized.

How many tubes does your Thunderbass have? I have a weird one here with 9 tubes including a 7199, with a voltage regulation system separate bias for each 6550 but there is no schematic anywhere for it (plus research seems to indicate it was developed in Sweden for Guild).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.