Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1966 Mustang Neck Question.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DennisM, Oct 4, 2017.

1. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2013
    Nevada
    I know I ain't supposed to post this here, but I didn't see any other guitar tech forum....and a fender neck is a fender neck...right?

I just acquired a 1966 Fender Mustang with a slight back bow on the neck. I assume it probably sat idle for years either not strung or with way loose strings. My question is, could it eventually get the proper bow back being tuned to pitch with 10/46's? Months? Never? Unlikely? I've seen the heat tricks but kinda want to stay away from things I've never done on a vintage guitar.

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    It may move some over time, but probably not much.

Did you try loosening the truss rod all the way? Is the bow there under string tension?

3. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

Nov 18, 2013
    Nevada
    Yes, the truss rod is loosened all the way, and yes, the bow is there when tuned to pitch with 10/46's. Strangely enough, it really don't buzz as much as it should. It's pretty playable as is. Just can't do a proper set up with the slight back bow and no way to adjust it. I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I guess I'm hoping that tension will bring it back over time. Dreaming maybe.

4. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Unfortunately, I think it's a dream at this point. Wood that's set in a certain position takes a long time to change, if it ever does.

I'd proceed with the straightening techniques. Done with care, the guitar won't be harmed at all.

DennisM likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.