Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1966 Fender Esquire Custom & 1963 Fender Esquire LEFT HANDED

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jazzmaster90150, Aug 7, 2017.

1. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    Hi everyone,

I finally decided to join TDPRI. As a Tele/Esquire fan, I've had the pleasure to see some of the incredible guitars posted here. It is finally my turn to share some of the guitars I own.

My 1966 esquire custom:

I bought it from the second owner: a French Canadian gentleman. He acquired it in the late 70's. He told me that he paid $300 Canadian dollar for it. These were the days!

This one was obviously played but it is still in great shape except one ugly spot next to the bridge. Apparently the first owner thought it was a good idea to put his initials there. When the second owner tried to remove them he used some product that didn't work very well with the finish...

As some of you probably know, Fenfer shipping ledgers are unavailable except for 1966 (which I discovered a few weeks ago reading The Fender Archives by Tom Wheeler). That year only 5 Esquire customs were made. This is certainly the only lefty.

As always my OCD kicked in so I bought some period correct case candy to go with it.

Tonewise it sounds brighter than my '63 Esquire. This one is also lighter. The neck has a A stamp which is the narrowest in terms of width.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

My 1963 Esquire:

I bought it from the original owner. He received it as a gift for his 10th birthday. He took some lessons and then gave up. This guitar is near mint. It plays and sounds great but for some reason my 66 is my favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lefty Addams, txflood, Danman and 6 others like this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    Ultra cool guitars!

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

3. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    Beautiful!
    My second electric guitar was a 1963 Esquire. I miss it!
    Welcome to the forum. :)

4. tjh5207

tjh5207 TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Glad to see you finally joined ;-)

Welcome !!

5. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    fabulous guitars. Thanks for sharing!!

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Cool! Thanks.

7. twang junkie

twang junkie TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2013
    london
    Welcome to the forum, beautiful guitars, I'm an Esquire lover too, they seem to have such great resonance and sustain

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Wow those are nice!
    Do you actually prefer Esquires?
    Or did you just stumble into these as deals you couldn't pass up?
    I reached a point where the Esquire without the extra caps on the switch is the perfect guitar for me, does everything I need better than any other guitar.

There seems to be something about an Esquire that even Esquire players can't put into words.
    Much of it IMO is not so much the guitar itself as what it does to the player.

Two amazing Esquires and lefties to boot, in the right hands.
    Good story!

Danman and jazzmaster90150 like this.

9. jazzmaster90150

jazzmaster90150 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2017
    NYC
    As a lefty I haven't had the chance to test as many guitars as I wanted. However I've had some great guitars over the years. My love for Esquires started with a Tele. A friend of mine had one. I loved his tone. I tried it and immediately knew I had to buy one. I acquiredt a Fender Custom Shop Tele at Sam Ash in NYC. A few years passed, I started to buy vintage guitars. I had some great guitars including a 64'ES330, a 67 SG Custom (I still own it) and a few other but nothing seemed to beat my CS Telecaster. In 2013, I got lucky enough to find my 63 on craiglist. Since then, I try to snap every left handed vintage Esquire I can find. There is something about them. I guess their simplicity makes them great guitars.

I just bought a 1960 esquire. Can't wait to return home and play it ! I'll post some pics here.

Danman and telemnemonics like this.

10. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Very nice guitars and welcome to the forum!
    I too like the simplicity of Esquires but it's just that I also love playing the Tele neck pick up..... But I have two 50s Les Paul juniors that just rock! Nothing more pure than one pick up!
    I can't wait until you post your '60 Esquire!

11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Spooky

Lefty here, your 'real' guitars are the exact 'fender custom shop' models I have

years ago I would have have been jealous - but not anymore - love my Telecasters

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah i want to see pics of the '60 Esquire!
    Something about a Brazilian slab that's hard to beat...

13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Fellow lefty here, nice pair of Eskimos you got there, esp. that '63!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.