Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1966 deluxe reverb cuts out when volumes and treble are on 10

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by nocastermike, May 8, 2017.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Before answering, an earlier post asked you if the filter caps had been replaced...and that is a critical point.

Additionally - are you inside the chassis or just replacing tubes? Primary sources of parasitic oscillation has already been answered by Rob, but you should not open the chassis unless you know exactly how to work safely and competently. Even unplugged the amp can potentially kill you.

The question regarding filter caps is a critical one. If they are original you are probably chasing your tail - your voltages could be varying when they shouldn't, which renders all technical answers (as far as "fixing" it) irrelevant, and tube changes will be a waste of time.

If you don't know - the amp need to go to a tech. Don't even turn it on again - there's a chance it could be damaged (probably not - but do you want to risk it?).

If those caps are original they HAVE to be replaced. If over 10 years old they should be replaced because you have no idea of their condition. Many have date codes and a tech can tell how old they are (not necessarily how long it's been since they were installed, but if they're old they're old - don't take a chance).

Once that's done if needed, a tech will have a much easier time tracking down the drop-out problem.

Also - the first channel uses a different preamp with a lower gain structure. So the problem could be in the vibrato channel preamp, or it could be related to the amount of gain hitting the driver our output tubes.

Any problem like that means an amp should go to a tech, and should not be played.

Even if you never play that loud, the problem could be something that will get worse and start to appear at lower volume levels, and/or damage components instantaneously. Get it fixed now rather than take chances.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    robrob, nocastermike and Piotr like this.

2. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I brought into the repairman today. R.I electronics in Pawtucket R.I. Says about a week or 2 i should have it back. I am not qualified to do more than swap tubes and speakers around. I paid alot of money for that amp,so im not messing around. Best left to the professionals.

3. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    LMAO......:lol:

PLEASE..some advance warning next time. I just blew a perfectly good swig of Wild Turkey all over my keyboard.

MilwMark likes this.

4. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Not for nothing...but doesn't Jim Campilongo run his princeton reverbs dimed? He controls all his dynamics with his guitar and fingers.

5. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'm not sure about him - but I either do or run close.

I actually learned that in 1972 from Clarence White. He said the guitar tone is FAR better with an amp diced (or close to it), very light pick attack (digging in to provide variations in drive) and setting *both* guitar controls between 50-75% to start with - then adjust the amp's tone controls as needed.

He also said it (pretty obviously) works best with the lowest-volume amp you can get away with in a particular venue.

Shortly after that I bought a '56 tweed Super (for $100!) to use when my modified '64 Vibroverb or Twin were too much. And I've had 3-4 tube amps of different output (not power - power does not = volume) and/or speaker dispersion ever since.

It works far better than any combination of pedals and/or attenuators. In the past 10 years or so - playing classic rock, country rock or blues in small clubs - I've never needed anything with more output than a Deluxe Reverb. I've used a a Holland Little Jimi, but only when I needed nothing but clean sounds.

I use OD pedals - but only for tone filtering, never for distortion. It takes getting used to, but I've taught quite a few players how to do it, and nobody changes back.

nocastermike and PCollen like this.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    OK...out with it!

7. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It's just as written above - try it. Crank the amp, adjust your guitar down to just above the top of headroom, which gives you some "clean tone" leeway - and if it's too loud you have "too much amp" to start with.

THAT is the key - having the right amp for the situation. For most small clubs something like a DR is fine; but I've played with 1x12 5-6 watt single-ended amps, and have done a few private jobs and bar gigs - with bass player, drummer, and-the electric and an acoustic running direct - with a Champ. Usually mic'd yes - but not in a few cases.

Once you have the maximum clean volume dialed in, when you turn up on the guitar it should *not* get louder - just head into saturation. IF you get louder when you are starting from the top of your headroom, the amp needs work!

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Note he was talking about Diming the Volume and the Treble (no word on Bass). But that really accentuates the scoop (in addition to providing a LOT of treble. I wouldn't be able to use such as scooped tone live, though I suppose others might.

9. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Except I wasn't posting about that - I was posting about cranking an amp and using guitar controls for volume and overdrive control. See the post before mine about Jim Campilongo.

nocastermike likes this.

10. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Best low-power tweed amp ever made was the 5F4 Super...what a deal. Hope you still have it.

11. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Err - sold it for $250. This was inn the 70's after all! Nobody wanted the things - they were just "weird old amps".l You could also buy '65 custom color Straps for $250 (with case), and '59 Sunburst Les Paul for $500.

Got a time machine?

:confused:

12. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

I was there....bought my first electric guitar new, with case, for $275, a 1972 Tele. don't ask if I still have it...it brings me to tears.

Silverface likes this.

13. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    I had not dimed the bass at that time. I had the bass on 4. However..yesterday i did dime my 69 princeton reverb(bass too.) and low and behold it is a very workable situation. Mine has a 12 inch eminence red white and blue installed. Using the Telecaster it is truly all i need. Tele volume at halfway or just below yields clean goodness. Open her up and all hell breaks lose. Big fun!

charlie chitlin likes this.

14. Greg_Flanagan

Greg_Flanagan NEW MEMBER!

Aug 29, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Hey Mike,
    Did you ever find out what was causing the issue? I have the same problem with an amp I'm working on which (though not a Fender) is very similar to a deluxe reverb normall channel. Thanks!

15. nocastermike

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Yes i did. I replaced the speaker and its never done it again. I had a wgset65 in it,when it was causing the problem. I have since had 2 different speakers in it and no more problem. I like a bright stinging treble on a cranked deluxe. Like Buchannons early live stuff.

16. Greg_Flanagan

Greg_Flanagan NEW MEMBER!

Aug 29, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the reply. That is kind of strange. I did try a different speaker and still have the issue - identical to how you describe it. I'll need to pop the amp open and fish around. I think I have blocking distortion. I did lower the PI tail resistor value a while back. Maybe I need to raise it back up. I'll follow up when and if I track it down.

nocastermike likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.