Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1964 blonde Bassman and cabs

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    This will be a bit of a wide open question but there are a lot of well informed folks here.
    Looking at doing some trading with a fella who has a '64 blonde Bassman head with two matching 2-12" JBL D120 cabs. He says it's all in very good shape.
    Value?

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I have a '65 Bassman and used a 2x12 with JBL speakers at one time. That cabinet weighs a TON and a JBL re-cone is expensive....and often necessary.

That said, if those are true piggyback cabinets in good condition, they sell for damn near as much as the amp head each. That last one that I shopped was in Minneapolis for nearly $700 with a pair of oxford speakers (Black tolex). A Bassman head goes for around $1,000 give or take and I guess the blonde adds more to it. I think combined you are looking at a realistic value around $2700 - $3,100.

For what it is worth, I dumped my JBL's pretty quickly years ago since they both ended up needing a re-cone. They are still great speakers and in their time one of the best, but speaker designs have caught up with them and you can find speakers that sound just as good weighing a lot less and for a lot less cash. If it was me, I would deal for the head and cab, but let him keep the speakers or else plan on selling them to recover some money. I might even pass on the cabinets actually....order a nice Avatar cab for 1/3 of the money and be just as happy from a playing stand-point.

I guess if this is more for collectibility and the cabinets are also blonde....you better grab them as they don't show up often.

3. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Do you know what circuit? It seems to me it could be 6G6-B or AA864... although maybe the latter would have black tolex...?

The presence of a 'presence' knob would be tell you it is the former.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Tomm, we need more data. Does the amp have a Presence knob? If so, it is a 6G6B circuit. If the amp has a ‘Deep’ switch onthe Bas channel and a Bright switch on the Normal channel, it is probably an AA864 BF circuit. If it is the latter, it is doubtful that the covering is original.
    The 6G6B circuit /amp is more valuable than the BF circuit...no matter the cosmetics. Fwiw, usually these transiti9n amps have 6G circuits in BF cosmeticsbut with the small white knobs from the blonde era......Tuxedo amps. but....it could go the other way, too, I suppose...BF circuit in blonde cosmetics.
    Once the circuit has been ascertained, the originality of components establishes value.

5. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    While lots of variables exist, if this was located in my area (greater Boston), I would expect a Blonde Bassman with JBLs in recently serviced and correct condition to go in the $2300-$2500 range. A spare cabinet in likewise condition probably $750-900. Condition is everything. Lots of these are now in repro-cabs. The possibility of mods is always there. Buyer beware. Look at the re-cone prices for a JBL before you buy.

6. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Wally I'm expecting photos later today which should answer some of that I hope. I can ask more questions at that time as well.

Wally likes this.

7. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Just got pics. It has the Presence knob and does not have the Bright/Deep knobs like my '67. The condition of the cabs and head are pretty nice but look old enough to be original to me.

zephyrR1 likes this.

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    here's my 64 head and cab in the middle. great amp.

Fenderland II.jpg

9. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well looks like we made a deal. We live a few hours away from each other so negotiating a meeting spot. Here's some pics, the road case is included.
    Now to put my '67 head and cab up for sale !

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    t guitar floyd and LocoTex like this.

10. Bob M

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    So, if may be so bold, HOW MUCH??? BTW-looks good. Road case and cover a bonus. Did I see an old Acoustic 360 head back there? Was this a treasure trove?

11. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    It's a bit hard to say how much. I've been operating a sound company for about 10 years that I've had to shut down due to back injuries. We negotiated a trade of the amp for some of my gear. I was happy with the result

12. Bob M

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    That's all that counts. Good luck with it. It will always be an easy sell.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    So, you didn't take the cabinets? The gold is the amp and the cabinets are just frosting in my mind along with the JBL speakers, so I would not pay a premium for the cabs either unless planning on selling it off later. Sure looks like well cared for equipment, congratulations.

14. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Sorry I guess I wasn't clear, I took the head, both cabs with covers and the road case

Wally and t guitar floyd like this.

15. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    In that case...you got the cake and the frosting.

Wally likes this.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If the inside looks as good as the outside, that is a nice amp. Re: that ‘67 Bassman. Ime and imho, those are two very different Bassman amps, and they do two very different things. Keep ‘me both unless you don’t like the heat that the ‘67 creates.

17. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Dang it Wally when you're right, you're right. The Blackface stays put!! I have the (somewhat?) rare 2-12"
    Transition cab that was only made for a few months towards the end of '66 so I guess it's a keeper.

18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Is that why it looks slightly wider than I think it should?

19. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I'm referring to my '67 Bassman cab not the Blonde in the pictures.
    When I found the cab I attempted to order a cover for it from Custom Covers when I discovered it was not the same size as they stated it should be. I thought perhaps it might be a Bandmaster or Showman cab but it wasn't that size either ????
    I went to the Fender Forum and found a thread discussing that this cab size was made during late '66-mid'67 as a way to increase low end response. After a few months, Fender decided to make it even larger which became the standard Bassman cabinet for many years thereafter.

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Yes, I was looking at the BF cab on the left side of the picture. I've never seen one with those dimensions: you've expanded my universe.

I'm not sure why Fender decided to make the SF cab so huge that it needed wheels and a trailer hitch. I guess they were stuck on the sealed cab design and couldn't imagine a smaller ported design.

Tomm Williams likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.