1963 Telecaster Build - Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by irishtele, Apr 10, 2009.

1. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Thanks scatter. Is there anything you dont do? :eek:
    Do you use a special blade or just a normal one?
    cheers

2. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

a nice sharp new one, 6 teeth per inch are the ones I use for rough cutting

3. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Ok I got myself a new router bit today. It is a pattern bit with a 1 1/2" long cutter and a bearing at the bottom. It has a 1/2" diameter. It is not the one jwell reccomended but It was the closest thing I could get to it? Will it work with my homemade router table? It coast 36euro about $50 so I dont want to open it until Im sure it will work. Heres a pic of it.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A bit like that would scare me. That's not what is usually referred to as a pattern bit. That is a flush trim bit. What I find scary is the fact that it doesn't allow you to make shallow cuts. It will do the job but you're going to have to be extremely careful and make sure you never cut 'uphill'.

Another point, you can't rout cavities with that bit. Personally I'd take it back and order a pattern bit.

Earlier you asked about my router table. It's home made. The top is a piece of 3/4 in. melamine........... particle board with a slick surface on each side.

[​IMG]

5. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Il try to take it back. Its just so hard to get whet you want in Ireland! :(
    Would you be able to give me a link to a website that ships worldwide that has a suitable bit? I cant seem to find one anywhere.
    Thanks for all your help

6. Stuggi

Stuggi TDPRI Member

Just tell the shop that you want one with the bearing above the cutters, if they could order that one they can order the right one. :D

7. Jack Wells

Grizzly ( www.grizzly.com ) shipped internationally but they have a $200 minimum for such orders.

It appears that Rockler ( www.rockler.com ) also ships internationally. I didn't see any minimum mentioned.

There must be some place in the UK that will have what you need.

8. Scatter Lee

I use one of each

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jack Wells

Check out eBay. I found new pattern bits on eBay UK.

10. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Today I tryed to route the 3/4" templates from my 1/4" outline with the bit I already had, Im taking the other one backing to the shop and ordering a new one. Heres a pic of the bit I used [​IMG]
    I tryed it on a bit of waste wood first. At least I didnt start on the proper template because here this was the result [​IMG]
    How can you stop this from happening? The bearing is 1/4" thick so it matches the outine template exactly but if I move it up on the template to also remove the sliver of wood it would probably slip and cut into both templates?
    Any advice? I dont really want to wait for the new bit because it is going to take a couple of weeks for them to order it.
    Thanks

11. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

I really dont think that bit is going to work

12. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Well Im not in the UK Im in Ireland and the since they have sterling over there the shipping is pretty expensive.I was looking on the rockler website and I think I might get one there. They dont have it in scock at the moment so I cant find out what the shipping is but it will probably be cheaper that getting it in Ireland or the UK! :eek: Its only $17 so thats about 13euro and it cost me 36euro here. :twisted:
    Thanks

13. Scatter Lee

move it up and dont let it slip

14. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

How? :p Should I use a table router or a handheld one?

15. Jack Wells

The seller of the bit I found on eBay UK was actually in the USA. The bit you boughtjwas Freud. They make a pattern bit ...... just order it.

With regard to the bit you have, it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with the template. Set it like this and cut the 3/4 template in two passes.

......[​IMG]

16. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Thanks Jack! You give some goood advice! :D
    Il order it monday and il do the templates tomorrow! :lol:
    Now all I need is the proper wood and all the hardware!!!
    Conor

17. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Where Im at now!

So Iv decided that Im going to use the same body that I used on my first tele. it will have to be 'modded' a bit and alot of filler will be needed in the neck pocket! :eek:
    I just ordered parts from guitarpartsresource.com and hopefully they will be here in about a week. I got mostly vintage '62 parts because I figured they would be close to the '63. Please tell me Im right! :oops:
    I also got an allparts neck there. The neck pocket on the body is bigger as I had a different neck installed. What do you think would be the best way of making the neck fit the neck pocket? without using a router! I was thinking the I could use plastic wood to 'mould' around the neck in the neck pocket, with the neck protected of course! I am spraying an opaque finish so you wont be able to see it.
    Thanks guys

18. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

So here is the old body that Im going to use! I havent completely stripped the finish yet as I have just finished filling in the old holes. As you can see it has no string ferrules as I used a toploader bridge so they will have to be drilled. Does anyone have any ideas for the neck pocket?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Router bits are easily available in the UK. A good source is Axminster Power Tools. If you haven't already, get them to send you a catalogue. They supply everything you could ever want and the customer service is great.

As a cheap option you could go for the Perform cutters. Not as good as CMT and the like, but perfectly fine.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Perform-Template-Profile-Cutters-22869.htm

The 3/4" long bit is only £7.95

I've just had some cutters from the Wealden Tool Company, also well priced and closer in quality to CMT than the perform cutters. Much cheaper than Trend and Freud and the quality looks very high.

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Template_Trim_279.html

part no T8028B is a good choice, and cost £14 delivered next day. These are the cutters i will be using from now on.

Did you get your nitro yet? People like Manchesterguitartech and tonetech have it but charge £15 a can! I dread to think how much i've soent on that.

I've recently found a cheaper source from Behlen

http://www.behlen.co.uk/Merchant2/m...Product_Code=B104-1406&Category_Code=MUSICFIN

it's meant to be good quality high solids lacquer designed for musical instruments and doesn't check or crack easily. It's the cheapest aerosol i've found so far. They do some cheaper ones for about £7 that people here have recommended. I had a thread about it here.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/129853-behlen-master-lacquer-top-coat-any-good.html

Here's a thread i did about making a template in case you haven't done one yet

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/114323-making-telecaster-template.html

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Dave

20. irishtele

irishtele Tele-Meister

Thanks Dave.
    Thanks alot of good info!! :D

I think I might get the pattern bit you were talking about. They are a very good price and seem to be good quality! :D

They only thing about Behlen is that it is £33 to ship to Ireland, thats nearly 40euro. I think I am going to get autopainty in Halfords. They sell it in aerosols and you can get clear or opaque finishes. The only thing is that it is acrylic and I dont know what type of sealer/primer to use. I know a guitar builder who said he used it before he started his own business to spray his guitars so I willl talk to him.

I wont need a template for this build as I am using an old guitar body but I will use this thread for guidance when I am doing my next build.

Also today I was cleaning out the shed and I found a piece of rosewood off an old piano. Its about 100 years old and still in perfect condition. Its about 3/4" thick and there is enough to make about 3 tops for guitars!! :D The only problem is that it is about 2cm too narrow for a full body so I will have to try and figure it out. I might not use it on this build but in the next one! :lol:

Sorry about the long comment!
    Conor

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.