Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1962 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by stenutin, Jan 10, 2018.

1. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    I noticed it has a changed tone pot, bridge mic installed is a Seymour Duncan (original came with the guitar) and tuners are newer (originals came with the guitar also).
    What about the pickguard? Did they make white, layered pickguards with perloid backside?
    Is the bridge original with some medification?
    Any other things you pros notice besides the unprofessional humbucker route?
    Do you think it is a refin?
    Neck says 1-62 and body 2-62. Cant read the pot code because of solder.

IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG tele 62.jpg IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1243.JPG

62 tele.jpg

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    The paint seems to have got on the electrics i doubt that would of happened in the factory
    Guitar looks great !!

Piggy Stu, Gibson and stenutin like this.

3. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Stenutin! Nice find! Your selection of vintage Fenders is growing very nicely. You find more fine guitars in Helsinki than we do here in Arizona. I'm still waiting for pictures of the inside of that '57 Strat (over on the other forum). ;) :cool:

stenutin likes this.

4. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Thought so too
    I will provide them as i open up that one.
    BTW. i called the previous owner and he said he bought it from Crazy Horse in the early seventies. Could be Danny Whittens old Strat but i have not been able to find pictures of him playing a strat

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    I want to play this guitar.

stenutin likes this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Very nice!
    Yes there were old Fender guards with pearloid on the back.
    Looks like the string ferrules on the back might be replaced.

Gibson, stenutin and Smiff like this.

7. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Were the ferrules embedded in to the body at the time in -62?

Smiff likes this.

8. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Pearloid was definitely on the back of Tele guards in the late 60’s (something about money saving, one sheet of material suitable for both Thinlines and regular Teles) and someone on here posted that Strats had Pearloid on the back their guards earlier in the 60’s; so it could be legit.

Also I think the ferrules were originally flush with the body and became sticking out like yours in the late 60’s. Maybe it had some work done on it in the late 60’s or later?

Looks a nice guitar anyway.

9. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Thinking it was refinished and the ferrules were taken out then? I Dont know.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think ferrules might be original. Looks like a CAR original finish, looks to be silver flake under the red which is correct.The red would be Lucite so it hasn't faded but lacquer darkened to a brick red.

Sticker, shape of headstock looks right. Bridge. Maybe one pot has been changed. Switch good, pull the switch hat off, you should be able to read 'Dakaware' on the underside. if that is there I'd say 99% certain.

Looks legit to me. Love to own it. At least they didn't hack the guard for the humbucker.

11. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Not sure if it reads anything under the switch tip

IMG_1251.JPG

12. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Dunno what I think lol, just letting you know what I saw. If it was refinished it was obviously a long time ago and before the neck pickup cavity was enlarged for a humbucker.

I too noticed the paint on the electronics. I don’t know if that would happen in the factory?

stenutin likes this.

13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Oh my that is droolsville!!!! How’s she sound?

stenutin likes this.

14. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Wow. Beautiful. I almost thought it was double bound with the amount of wear on the edges until I zoomed in.

I've seen the pearloid on the back on others in images.

More pics would be appreciated.

Congrats.

stenutin likes this.

15. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Have to install the original mic and tuners.
    The non amplified sound just rings to my heart. These older Fenders have been played a lot and they give good feeling to the ones who appreciated the history.
    I do like the good new ones too. One of my favorites are the new "Professional series". Im not a retailer. Im just a player

16. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Thanks.
    If i get busy ill post a video!

bender66 likes this.

17. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Love it!

Dare I ask, what is the ballpark value of guitars like this? Very rare in my part of the world.

18. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

Nov 19, 2017
    in Heaven
    Depends entirely on the originality and virginity.
    This one around 6-7K to move it fast. Could go for higher but it sits longer.

19. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Very nice, congrats!!!
    The finish would be refinish (the excess of spray under the control plate: the switch and capacitor look like original, but either of pots doesn't) and the cut bridge plate wall (if it's an original) tells that the body once had a Bigsby. The top-hat switch lever tip isn't Dakaware. The string ferrules don't look like original as well. I don't see any other part to be unoriginal.

Edit: The frets don't look like original, too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    stenutin likes this.

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Beauty! Congrats!

stenutin likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.