Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 Super Amp Value

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Gibsonsmu, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    What would you guys ballpark value on one of these - 1960 Fender Super, Brownface? Changed OT, speakers and grillcloth only, still has all the yellow astrons etc. but cathode bypass cap changes, filter caps, etc (which I would want anyway). Any thoughts?

2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    There's a 1962 Super on Reverb right now that is of similar originality that is listed for $1685. The examples in more original condition are being listed for $3k to $4k.

Gibsonsmu likes this.

3. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you for your reply, Yeah I did see that - just curious if the $1685ish sounds high or low - it obviously isn't moving at that price. And $3K sounds nutty but maybe I just don't appreciate the amp.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The replaced OT is a big hit...as are the speakers. Add the replaced grille cloth, and you are in player’s amp territory, imho....but rare player’s Amp, right? Does the one you are looking at have the center volume control, G-mu?

boredguy6060 and Gibsonsmu like this.

5. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    It does not have the center volume control but I compared the circuit and it is the earlier one with five pre amp tubes and the .5 coupling caps on the input - so closer to 5G than 6GA. The choke dates to the 21st week of 60' so my guess is around Mayish? I take it back on the grill cloth - I think that is original even though the seller said it is not.

It looks identical to the one in this article (the very light tan tolex) save the volume knob and the top handle is the dark brown, not the lighter. I prefer player amps - they can just be harder to value given the "individuality" associated with them :)

https://wgsusa.com/amps-don’t-exist-part-one-1959-brown-fender-super-amp

Wally likes this.

6. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I think thats your answer right there. With speakers and OT replaced it is definitely not collector grade and that means the value is whatever you can get someone to pay for it. The "blue book" kind of goes out the window on less than pristine collectible things because true collectors tend to see them as worthless, but you can rarely actually buy them for as little as the collector guides would value them at.

Looks like there are a couple of brown supers on Reverb at the moment that are beatup and less original than yours asking $2K and 2.6K. Those seem a bit high, but it looks like relatively few have sold for less than $2K in any condition recently. If I was buying I'd be trying to pay <$1500 and if I was selling I'd be looking for $2K+... for whatever my opinions worth.

7. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    That's where I came out - so very helpful thank you sir!

8. John Owen

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    It kind of does boil down to what it is worth to you. For me, if it is fully functional, and I had the spare cash (big if), I would happily shell out $1750 for it. The caveat is that I don't have a very good record with respect to coming out ahead financially on gear trading. Fortunately for me, I get a lot of pleasure out of playing on nice sounding stuff and the money would have disappeared one way or the other anyway!

9. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Me too - well usually you can at least see boutique clone price as at least kind of a floor but I don't know many clones of these if any that exist and if a Mojotone Deluxe is $1250 you can't feel that bad about this. I actually do think the big value is the old wood in the cabinets. They make an impact based on my experience.

10. John Owen

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Well buy it already!! We will require some visual and hopefully audio documentation to verify the purchase.

11. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    You know I did! I couldn't hold back, these are pictures from the seller. It's a really cool model. Very early brown Super - I am estimating a July or August 1960 given the May 1960 dated choke. 5 Preamp tubes - it appears like a dead in the middle of the transition amp. But more 5G than 6GA. I was able to get it down to $1625 to the front door (so basically ~$1500 with shipping). Still well below one of the new "Custom Shop" Fenders that don't have a vintage output tranny either. Has Weber 10125s in it right now. So I think all in I'm happy with it. Definitely a players amp but it's in nice shape and will fit perfectly in my Brown amp collection which currently consists of a Princeton, Deluxe and a Concert (6G12-A).

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Congrats.

Gibsonsmu likes this.

13. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Ultra cool man!

I'm a big believer in "player grade" amps. All the tone at half the price. Maybe when I start an amp museum I'll worry about pristine originals.

What you've got is a hot rod. It's meant to be driven fast!

Gibsonsmu likes this.

14. John Owen

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    That looks like an excellent addition to the family. Well done!

Gibsonsmu likes this.

15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Beauty! Those are great amps. Congrats!

Gibsonsmu likes this.

16. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    I love my '61 Pro but I wish at times I'd held out for a Super.

Gibsonsmu likes this.

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    That amp looks great to me, and hooray on the Weber’s , I’ll bet they sound amazing in that brown beauty.
    Bravo, nice catch!

Gibsonsmu and Minivan Megafun like this.

18. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2013
    Manitoba
    Nice! I bought one of these same amps back in June except it's been sitting at my guitar tech's since the week I got it. I had some weird issues in the vibrato and it took a while to source parts.

Gibsonsmu and boredguy6060 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.