Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 JazzBass Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jul 9, 2009.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Older Fender slots are 1/8" from the edge. I usually eyeball it though.

2. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks Gil, that is what it looks like. Perfect. ...Love that bass, nice job on it again.

3. Overtone

Overtone NEW MEMBER!

Oct 22, 2012
    Toronto
    Gil, you are truly an inspiration. Your build threads are so entertaining and enlightening! Is there any chance you could share the radii used for the single action truss rod is a jazz bass neck? I assume the radii are larger than a strat or tele, but the highpoint would still be at the same fret?

Thanks!

Josh

4. leau2001

leau2001 TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2011
    France
    Hi Gil, i read all this 5x i think .. and always learning something... you inspire me to build my 1959 PB bass project ... thx

Laurent

5. devoewoolf

devoewoolf TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Salt lake Cty,Utah
    Can you help me with this jig

Hi Preeb,at 61 years of age I don't grasp new ideas as well as I used to.maybe you can help me with the jig in my attachment? Thank you Bill

Attached Files:

6. oscinator

oscinator TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2014
    sunshine coast B.C

7. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Did Brainy design that?

8. Chinjazzz

Chinjazzz NEW MEMBER!

Jun 7, 2017
    Jacksonville Fl

Hi Preeb, this is an old post but I am truly in awe of your work!!!

I'm building my 2nd bass and fabbing a router table. Wondering what brand pattern bit your using for the flush trimming?

Thanks!!!

9. pavel

pavel Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2009
    California
    I'm not Gil but Whiteside upcut spiral bit RFTD5125 1/2" shank 1 1/4" cutting length, for necks. (Also RFTD5200 1/2" shank 2" cutting length for bodies -- you can just get the 2" bit and use it for both).

Prior to routing, get as close to the cut line as possible with a drum sander (e.g. Robosander) so as to only remove as little bit bit of the material with the router bit as possible.

10. Chinjazzz

Chinjazzz NEW MEMBER!

Jun 7, 2017
    Jacksonville Fl
    Hi Pavel, thanks so much for sharing!
    I have a spindle sander so I'm good there. I have a short cut pattern bit from Whiteside I use for pickup cavities, and really like their quality. I'll definitely check out their uncut spiral bits - Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.