Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 JazzBass Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jul 9, 2009.

1. stratman1966

stratman1966 TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Madison Heights MI
    54-62. I like the tan color with the burst and white showing through in the wear areas. I have a good white coat down with the sides bursted more opaque. I was planning on another thin coat of white tinted tan. Then a light amber clear coat. I don't like them white or yellow just tan.
    My other plan was to add some med brown dye to some clear to get the tan look to keep my finish thin but not sure if that will give me what i want. Doing some test board first.

2. GerryB

GerryB TDPRI Member

May 12, 2003
    Somerset, NJ
    I know I'm late to this discussion, but how long do you make your truss rods
    for vintage style basses?

3. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2010
    NC
    Finally read the end of this thread. I've never seen the mutes before. That makes it a totally different beast. Jazz Bass makes more since now! Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

4. heinzlorenzo

heinzlorenzo Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    england uk
    I have to say, another great build with lots of interesting background.
    One question though, what type of foil did you use for the capacitor? I've had a go myself at making capacitors, but always end up with them reading a bit low. I don't really mind since I prefer the sound of lower value caps, but what you've done here looks much more refined than my attempts.

5. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I don't know... I just lay it on top of the slot, mark and cut it. I can measure the jig on next week.

You're welcome!

I have many kinds of aluminum foil I bought over the years... some are thinner than others so I usually use the thinnest for the higher values and wrap them very tight. I don't have any tool that can accurately measure the thickness...

6. genesiospinola

genesiospinola Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Hi Gil! Great work man!!! Only a detail: what do you think do the bottom nut radius using a sandpaper at the neck top, and sanding (the bottom nut)...Understood what a mean?! IMHO,,,works easy and perfect.

Cheers!!

7. LScero

LScero Former Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Colorado
    Reading this entire thread felt like a journey. . . . somewhat similar to Frodo's. Except, only the HIGH parts were experienced.

Thank You Gil. . . .

8. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2011
    vancouver island bc
    I have never seen (or even heard of) these mutes before - and I got my first Precision in '67. What a wonderful sound. I must have tried 100 different pieces of foam or rubber or whatever and never was happy with them. So, I'm off to find some spring steel and felt and see what I can come up with - thanks, Gil PS - loved your playing!

9. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    Where do you locate the screws for the neck template?

I have started another Tangential Pathway - a Jazz Bass neck. I got a slab of Rock Hard Maple (not figured) 1.75" thick x 6.75" wide x 48" long, and made the template and cutout the neck. I am going to slab it down to a hair over 1" thick, make a one piece jazz bass neck, and a try to make modified 2-piece neck. But where do you mount the template? The drawing I have does not have the holes shown. Just curious. Thanks.

10. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Heel and back of headstock (under the tuner).

11. angelodp

angelodp TDPRI Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Los angeles
    Caps

I know this is very late, but what is the trick to solder to the aluminum foil for cap making. I have tried to no avail?

A

12. williamsanders

williamsanders TDPRI Member

May 24, 2008
    Kalmthout - Belgium (Europe)
    And since we're asking anyhow... You told me you've "eyeballed" the curvature of the fretboard at the headstock without a jig... Could you give me some info on how to do it (with and/or without the jig).

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the amazing thread. This was one of the main reasons to give it a shot myself...

13. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Assuming you are referring to the round "lip" of the board where it transitions the HS, I use a 2" diameter sanding drum and tilt the neck sideways to get a straight edge line about 1/8" behind the nut. The result is the round lip.

14. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Never had an issue soldering the foil but you can also bend each leg and have its designated foil tightly wrapped through the bend and around it.

15. williamsanders

williamsanders TDPRI Member

May 24, 2008
    Kalmthout - Belgium (Europe)
    Yes I was. Thanks for that. Doesn't seem impossible to do, so I might give it a shot one day. Thanks a lot! :)

16. DanielDG

DanielDG TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Belgium, Leuven
    Awesome build thread preeb!

It was extremely useful as a reference during my own Jazz Bass build.

I've learned a lot from reading your other topics, too.

Thanks! [​IMG]

17. PapaLion

PapaLion Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2010
    SW AZ
    Hi Gil. I, like most folks, always learn so much in the details of your builds. Mine is a
    '62 1/2 with 3 knobs built just after the stacked knobbers, and no mutes left. It weights just a smidgen (tech term) over 7 pounds loaded with no covers. A good bass player can get very fine sounds from it.

Ideas about cutting out thin long necks and slab rosewood... hmm good thinkin' re; a Tele hybrid/Bass VI waxing in my thoughts. Glad to see your able assistant is still involved.

enjoy
    Bret

18. preeb

Sep 10, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Man... your dog looks just like one of Marc Rutter's dogs (-;

19. Bardman

Bardman TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2008
    UK
    Gil

Thank you so much for one of the best 3 hours I have ever spent online: I read the thread from start to finish - and simply couldn't stop.

I am struggling for which superlative to use as every time I type 'brilliant' or 'incredible' the word just doesn't seem to do justice; so having sat back and just tried to think of what your master skills have created for me personally, one word shines bright and bold. . .

INSPIRATIONAL.

Thank you.

Shalom from the UK

Brad

20. telemcCaster

telemcCaster Tele-Holic

Jun 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Hey Gil, I had a Jazz bass from Japan and the player wanted me to thin the neck to standard thickness minus a little. He wanted to go 1.47 inch wide and 0.88 thick. I felt like I was making a cello neck.:D

Question: what is the string spacing on those E to G? I would just do it by eye but he wanted to go exact.

Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.