Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 Fender Pro Amp at local GC

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Slim Chance, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Stopped to browse my local Guitar Center and found this on the floor in the PRS vault. I snapped a few quick photos for those that care to see. It looked ok for an amp of that vintage; not a museum piece, but it should clean up well. Not sure if the speaker is original as the label is missing. It's a pretty heavy amp for it's size. As the tag says, they're asking $2499.

file.jpeg

file1.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    file3.jpeg

bryan83 and LocoTex like this.
  2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I've always wondered... why have a normal channel and a vibrato channel? Why not have have the vibrato (tremolo) available to both channels? Is it something about having the tremolo connected that affects the tone of that channel?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It does. At least on BF amps. The normal channel is dead simple and a bit thicker sounding. Still...

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I may be 100% WRONG on this but was Fender maybe still going with the concept that the amp could be used for 2 Instruments ( same time)?
    Just a guess

asnarski, etype and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Correct, and one could be a MICROPHONE for a singer; hence, the different channel gains.

etype, nojazzhere and noah330 like this.
  6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Very Cool Map. I have a few browns that I love.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Those brown Pros are really nice. Should be a Jensen P15N or something like that, right? Still, I don't think I'd pay that kind of money for one. It would have to be dead mint.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Epic tremolo through a 15.

dan1952 likes this.
  9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I want a brown Pro or Super.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    yup did that all the time. my first band ran bass and guitar through my big bros 55 Bassman. It was the 70’s and it was just an old amp. we disintegrated it Could have paid off my house today if it survived

11. ampking300

ampking300 TDPRI Member

The Jensen speaker in this amp is an early version of the Jensen P15N, check the Jensen manufacture date code on the rim of the speaker, should be, EX, - 220415= 220 =Jensen, 4= 1954, 15= 15th week of---the small extended metal plate that is underneath the alnico magnet was only made up until 1954, a 1960 Jensen P15N would not have this plate and code would be 220035,( EX. only, but 4th digit would be 0 ) indicating 1960. Also, be sure that this is a 1960 model and not a 1961 or later model, as most 1960 models have the tweed style era grill cloth, right up until Nov.,1960. This model has the latter style maroon grill cloth used from Dec. 1960 to about Dec.,1962. Best way to check is to see the 2 black stamped letters on the tube chart which would indicate the year and month of production, EX. LB=L= 1962, B= Feb., KA= K=1961, A= Jan. ---a 1960 model would have coding JA, JB, JC, etc. indicating J=1960, A=Jan.,B=Feb., C=March, etc.----good luck, a great amp regardless of the year.

MickM, dan1952 and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I'm not considering the amp. Just wanted to share what is probably a fairly rare GC find. If anyone is interested, it's in Rockville, MD. if I had a screw driver with me, I might have popped off the rear panel and hoped the sirens didn't go off.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I bought mine painted black for $380.

Stripped the black paint off and sold it local for $900.

It still needed a cap job and had a 15" Utah in it.

I'm at peace.

They are very cool. Aren't they the same as a couple other amps except for the cab/speaker size ?

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  14. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Pro and Super were very similar, except for speaker configuration and Supers have tube rectifiers. Vibrasonics and Concerts were 40 Watts too but had bigger ot’s I thought (I may be wrong on that....)

15. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2008
    ohio
    I played thru one of those years ago...but those 15's just didn't do it for me...almost bought it for $300 ..back in the 90's...they sure ask a hefty price now....

16. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Gotta love the 90's...I remember these things sitting in stores in Austin priced at $350. Of course you could get a tweed Pro for $5-600.

17. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Howling Wolfs band (with the great Hubert Sumlin on the goldtop), warming up the “crowd” at a club in Chicago in the early 60’s...

I think the brown Concert on the piano was Wolfs amp/PA.

IMG_6740.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I want a brown 1963 Vibroverb. My dream brown amp.

19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great Pic! Makes sense as far as being Wolf's rig. 1 mic for his vocals and one for harp.

20. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    My '58 Pro has enough clean headroom for my needs. I guess the '60 Pro have more headroom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.