Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 Custom Telecaster - To restore or not?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Tele Jones, Sep 4, 2017.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    it's cool as f*** as is - don't even attempt to restore it.

2. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    btw, i had one of mine restored. it's a blacktop but had been butchered by a previous owner who had taken a chisel to the top and bottom edges to fake relic it. it had a badly installed p90 in the neck and a cheap kill switch in the plate. i swapped out the cheap pickups for quality bensons and got the chisel damage built back up with black superglue. it got a new control plate too and now it looks and plays sweet.
    i was repairing damage though - there's nothing out of place on yours.

Tele Jones likes this.

3. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    I'm with the majority to leave it alone - it looks great. And that's from someone as you can see from my avatar who loves a sunburst custom.

I bought a 62 slab board Strat in the mid-70s that had just been refinished white (Hendrix influence of course). Gigged it hard for 20 years, so it had picked up good patina/mojo. Decided to refin to fiesta red as there was evidence that was the original colour. Lost all its vibe and moved it on. There's a lesson from me in there:cry:.

Tele Jones likes this.

4. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    I agree with the leave it alone and play it crowd. I love the natural wood !

Tele Jones likes this.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a beaut, and I would be scared to mess with it since it plays and sounds so well.

But being an old, valuable thing, but not exactly my thing, I'd sell it and go find what I'd really want...an early 60s burst Custom.

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It looks great as but i would get a sunburst refin done on it
    reason for that can't see the binding in it's present state the reason they were called Custom Telecasters was because of the binding ?
    each to their own though
    example 59_tele-custom_3.jpg

Tele Jones and David Barnett like this.

7. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    I've heard from a few who have done the re-fin thing and loved the look, but lost the sound...don't want that!! Thanks for your input!

Crashbelt likes this.

8. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    I've thought about that too, but I know I can't get enough to buy a 60 Custom in better shape so I may be stuck for now...but not a bad problem to have ;).

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Heck no, don't refin. It looks really cool like that, I can see the binding just fine. It's already a "refin" and I'd take the road hard old poor refin over the overly glossy or overly satin newly done faux relic look.

10. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Germany
    Well, I tend to feel that it would be great with a restoration to sunburst. I have one almost exactly like it (a 1966) and while I agree it has mojo no end, I consider it an act of respect to put it back to its former glory. The resale value is gone, anyway.
    I just love that bound sunburst body with binding ....

11. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Been thinking the same thing...that sunburst is so awesome...decisions, decisions...

rjtwangs likes this.

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I speak English a little, and being American, Bad English more-so. But I'd like some help understanding the sentiment of your post, due respect. I may be slow, but some punctuation might go a long way, not that I should talk [re:grammatical writings] really. ;)

fernieite likes this.

13. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    You have a beautiful guitar.....I would leave it the way it is. It has the look!...it has the sound!

Tele Jones likes this.

14. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    It was a opinion is that simple enough ? if not i suggest you read it a few more times and don't worry if your lips move no one will see you

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Because I only tried to read it once before asking...

Forget it, thanks for the clarification...

16. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    The thing about a refin losing its sound is that it's temporary. Once the lacquer cures and hardens a little, the mojo comes back. In the meantime, play it and put some relic wear on it. :cool:

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading about Rick Derringer having a Les Paul refinished and he hated the sound of it afterwards. It was refinished in a transparent red, and IIRC George Harrison ended up with it. It might have been the one that was stolen and George had to buy it back.

- D

18. StrangerNY

I nearly forgot to mention that I'm on Team Leave It. And I say that as a proud owner of a'68 Custom Tele - the guitar is so pretty I sometimes take it out of its case and just stare at it.

That said, yours is gorgeous as is. I wouldn't mess with it.

- D

Tele Jones likes this.

19. StrangerNY

Here's the story of that LP.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/legendary-guitar-lucy-507.aspx

- D

Tele Jones likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.