Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 Custom Telecaster - To restore or not?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Tele Jones, Sep 4, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Mostly leave it be. I personally would be tempted to get or make a guard that covers the line of finish on the top bout...
    But then again, why disturb the current state mojo wise...

Tele Jones likes this.

2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    +1 Don't change it!

There'll never be a 1960 Tele just like that one. It evokes that ineffable mix of reverence and awe, tinged with the dull ache of longing for something we'll never hold in our arms. That aging around the binding alone, you can't buy that kind of mojo. :cool:

I admit the finish headstock is a bit of a mess, and if it was mine I might consider restoring only the face of the headstock. But really it's completely unnecessary.

If you have the cash for a pro refinish/restoration, why not buy another Tele with a new finish, and probably save money in the end? Best of both worlds.

+1 flyingbanana said it well:

Tele Jones likes this.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    You can upload pics directly to the TDPI site, look for the "Upload a File" button, and you can embed them right in your post, thumbs or full size. Hope that helps!

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    It looks great. If it sounds great and plays easily- why change it?
    In 1960 it could have been Olympic White with a white guard but as it has a black pickguard it might have been butterscotch. Personally I love LPB and a white guard. JMHO.

Tele Jones likes this.

5. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA

6. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    You might want to consider replacing the non original SD bridge pickup with an original unit or at least trying one in there to see how you like it. They are a big ingredient to what makes an early 60's Tele sound the way it does.

I would guess the cost would be similar to having a pro refinish but would be a better area to spend money imo.

robt57 likes this.

7. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Tennessee
    Man, 1960 rosewood neck is one of my Bucket guitars. If I had it and I had the money and time, I wouldn't hesitate to correct that fine instrument into a Robben Ford nitrocellulose lite relic.

8. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    While I generally would echo the calls of " leave it alone " but if it were mine and having already been refinned, I would send it to someone like Gord Miller and have him do a restoration of the finish. A talented artist like Gord( and yes, I think he is an artist )will incorporate the areas of wear into the new finish....it would look like an old original Custom Telecaster. Depending on the year, he does a killer version of the " oxblood " color on the sides of the guitar...my 59' has the oxblood sides( found on some of the very early customs ) and it's gorgeous....of course it's YOUR guitar to do whatever makes you happy, that's what is most important imho....

RJ

cjp60 and t guitar floyd like this.

9. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    A lot of Hippie musicians who wanted their stuff to have that "natural" look. :rolleyes: :) :cool:

10. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    It has a great look to it, but I would be very tempted to have a professional refin done that kept the vibe of the guitar. 3-color sunburst. A pro refin, in an appropriate color, will make it worth more than it is now. But that is only important if you would ever consider selling it.

cjp60 likes this.

11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Honestly, I've seen more than not in 'natural' home brew refins.

If it was mine, my mid 60s re-wound neck PU would already be in it. A pickup that has been in my possession since 1975. Unfortunately the 67 Tele I had then is not in my possession. But that pickup was in the case well used and dead in 1973 when I got the 67. Interestingly, I lost it for over a decade at a point. Found it moving and had it rewound to spec when told it was not repairable. Yada.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    t guitar floyd likes this.

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If at all I'd add, in an effort to beat a dead horse once more.

13. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Mid South
    I had a slab Custom Tele that looked just like yours. It was magic, one of the real special ones. But I wanted pretty, so I had it refinished sonic blue. It was gorgeous, but it killed the guitar. All the magic was gone, and it moved on.

14. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Does Gord have a shop or internet site? Would love to check it out.

15. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Here you are....

http://gmvintagerestorations.com/

Tell him I said hi!

RJ

16. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Hmmmm...that gives me pause. So much to consider. As I stated in a prior post, my finish seems thicker than what Fender likely would have done in 1960. I was thinking that a refin would be a thinner finish than what I have and possibly improve the sound (as good as it already is) even if it is slight. On the other hand, your experience makes me nervous. I read the account that Rick Derringer once had a beat up '57 gold top LP that his dad suggested sending to Gibson (located near their home) for a refin. Rick got it back and did not like the sound...he said it was never the same. He traded it somewhere and Eric Clapton wound up buying it eventually giving it to George Harrison. I'd hate for Eric to wind up with my Tele and giving it to someone else ;).

17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    In antiques there is a golden rule: NEVER remove the patina from a piece. And patina this one has! In some respect even more than many well aged original finish examples.

Indeed not all old refins have such an exceptionally fine patina as this one. I remember guitars painted over with latex. Ok to strip an refinish those!

With regard to the original color, that would have been 3t sunburst without a doubt, like all other teles with binding from those years.

I am quite sure that if you would strip, sand and refinish it you would ultimately end up selling it because the magic is gone

Tele Jones and hrstrat57 like this.

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks nicely "reliced" as it is.

Tele Jones likes this.

19. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Chandler, Arizona
    I know some of you will like the before but I like the after for many reasons. Refin done by Gord Miller.
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Blue Bill and rjtwangs like this.

20. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Both beautiful! I lean towards that sunburst...SPECTACULAR! I checked out Gord's website. Unfortunately he's out to over 6 mos. If I ultimately decide to re-fin mine, it would be hard to wait that long...:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.