Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1960 Custom Telecaster - To restore or not?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Tele Jones, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    I like your 2 cents...and honestly, it's a fun problem to have!!

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I thought I just read about someone relicing a 60 year old guitar.
    Am I on drugs or what?

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

One thing to consider, is the uniqueness of the guitar. You'll never quite match the wear and "old" look it currently has. I'd imagine that can add to the value of the guitar....but sometimes that is in the eye of the beholder.

4. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Well, mine seems to have a reasonably thick finish, but sounds incredible. I can't believe that stripping it would hurt the sound quality, but as many have said here, "If it already sounds killer" and it looks pretty cool, what's the problem?;)

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Amen!

6. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Crazy! I'd never do that...unless I relic'd it by playing!

SecretSquirrel likes this.

7. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Yeah that's kinda the point I was trying to make - that was my thought process (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

8. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Chandler, Arizona
    So it's ok to relic a new guitar to look old but relicing a old guitar to look old after a refin isn't? Give me a break!

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    looks good as is- I would not consider a refinish on it

Tele Jones likes this.

10. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    True that. That's an awfully sweet Tele you have there. Friend of mine has his Dad's '60 Tele, also stripped and varnished in the 70's...wonder what was going on back then?:)

t guitar floyd likes this.

11. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Thanks for your input!!

12. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Personally, I'm not bothered that anyone buys or gets someone to relic a guitar. The only reason I've ever owned one is because they're always in mint condition, right? Unlike the Custom Shop's NOS...only way it stays mint is to never play it and that's no fun! Thanks for your input, I appreciate all the insight from everyone on the Forum.

cjp60 likes this.

13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Back in the 1960s and 1970s when I was a teenager it was a very popular thing for people to refinish their Teles in natural, so much so that in 1971 (I think) Fender started to offer Natural as a finish.

One thing I would wonder about is whether refinishing the guitar might change the sound. I read a story where Bill Nelson of Be-Bop Deluxe had his Gibson hollow body (a 345 or something like that) refinished and it didn't sound as good. But I don't know if this would be as much of a factor with a solid body guitar.

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

Try contacting Fender. They may, or not, be able to tell you some original specs. A bit of a long shot but it can't hurt to try

Tele Jones likes this.

15. Rooster16

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks - yeah it's pretty slick for sure. So many of them stripped down, I just wish this one hadn't fallen victim to the neck pick up swap! The neck has a beautiful flame on it that I don't see in a lot of them. Your custom is gorgeous too.

Attached Files:

16. Rooster16

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    On a hollow body for sure it would change the sound. I build acoustics and the lighter the finish the more "open" the sound as a rule of thumb. Basically it allows the top to vibrate more. I have no idea if that theory translates to an electric or not but I would think it would to a much lesser degree.

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Pics?

18. Tele Jones

Tele Jones TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Texas, USA
    Wonder if it feels as good as it looks!

19. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'd love to post pics but since photobucket started charging I haven't found another sight to host photos. Any suggestions? I just haven't had the time to research.

20. Rooster16

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    It doesn't suck!lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.