Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

1959 Warlock Les Paul reverse!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Apr 15, 2015.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I got some of the case hardware in the handle is really nice as is the pin and mount for it. The mount is solid and robust it should hold up well. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    This case won't be exactly like a Lifton but it will have that 50's vibe.

2. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    The latches are nice too. image.jpeg
    I cant seem to find the plain old hinges like on the Lifton case so I ordered the more readily available stamped kind. image.jpeg
    They are accurate for old cases here is one from the 40's. image.png
    If I come across the other type of hinge I may use them but now I have something.

awasson likes this.

3. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I got the sample of pleather in it's pretty nice. I will probably use it. It's part leather and some type of plastic binder. The back is like suede. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I have to figure which size thread for the stitching I found this online. I will probably go with one of the .51 mm or .57mm. image.jpeg

4. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I'm still figuring on how I'm going to approach the forming I may make a form or just make kerfs and bend the wood. Not sure.

5. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    As I am gathering and planning for the case, I can't help but feel that this guitar need a brother. Perhaps something in a gold top, not a warlock though. I've always wanted a mockingbird so I think I will go that direction. BC Rich already did a version and they were pretty cool, I would change some stuff though. Here is BC Rich's. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I think a gold top mockingbird would be best in the 54' style with soap bars and wraparound tailpiece. You know Gibson everything, BC Rich shape.it would need Brazilian board with trapezoid inlays , one piece body, 2 or 3 piece top, royalite binding, yada, yada, yada. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Maybe possibly deluxe style instead, I really like those too. image.jpeg
    Maybe just a mini humbucker or firebird pickup in the bridge. It will probably be next year sometime and on a new thread perhaps 1954 mockingbird Les Paul goldtop?

7. JMartyG

JMartyG TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2015
    PEI, Canada
    Hi,
    Long time lurker. Great work! i've been following the thread.

I had to post though, as I thought that the attached image may be a good idea for you. you'll have to excuse my 11PM MSpaint skills. Similar vain to the backwards idea as the main guitar, but adjusted a bit.

Attached Files:

8. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Thank you for following and your skills at MSpaint are better than mine! It's a cool idea but I think I will do the mockingbird with a regular orientation. My biggest motivation for the upside down warlock was the knob placement, it looks cool too but the knobs and cavity were my main concern. On your picture that bottom knob is super close to the edge. It also looks a lot like the schecter synyster gates, I would much rather it be like a BC Rich. image.jpeg
    Thanks for the artwork it super cool, I have to learn to do that.

9. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    I saw these Les Paul Jazzmaster goldtops an thought they were cool. image.jpeg

Blazer, AAT65, Barncaster and 3 others like this.

10. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Searching the net for pictures of gold top images I found this super cool Les Paul strat. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    And the gold top version. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Very cool!

Barncaster and Zepfan like this.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    If you ask me, a gold top really has to be '54 style: wraparound tailpiece and P90's. I built a '54 style LP and love it.

Barncaster likes this.

13. joekumpan3

Jun 19, 2011
    Kaneohe Hawaii
    Yeah, I agree. The 57's are cool too but then you may as well have a burst.

14. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    WHOA...

WANT...

Barncaster likes this.

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Sounds really good.

You should have a guy like Eric Gales play it.

[​IMG]
    For him the knobs will be where he's familiar with them being and it won't look awkward flipped over.

Barncaster likes this.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.